My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed today when i was moveing my plow to get a tractor moved that i needed a new cutting edge. i dont want to wait untill last minuite so i figured i change it now. my question is do you guys buy yours ormake your own and if you make them your own what do you use. i got a 42" craftsman blade

thanks nick

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
I just put a new cutting edge on a 48" Bolens blade. I used a 3x 3/16" piece of steel I got at TSC, about $25.00. Dave

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
ask around. anyone with a plow, bulldozer, skidsteer, grader, etc.... will pitch a blade that a GT would take a life time to use up.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
Our local DPW garage trashes many 10' cutting edges off dump truck plows during the course of a winter--I try to get one for my Fisher blades every few years,a worn one off those plows is still plenty thick and wide enough to cover my 7.2' plow and it will outlast the blade..a garden tractor blade could be re-edged more than a few times with just one old cutting edge!..

I have used a peice of angle iron as a plow edge on tractors with good results too..old bed frame is a harder type of steel thats abrasion resistant compared to regular mild steel,only bummer is its tough to drill holes in..a masonary dril bit works if you resharpen the cutting tip ,drill press works best..

·
Registered
867 Posts
Buy a piece of cold rolled steel bar and make a cutting edge yourself. Cold rolled steel is a little more expensive but it's 20 to 25% harder then hot rolled. Cold rolled is still mild enough to work with but it will last longer then hot rolled steel.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the reply guys im getting a new cutting edge for one of my trucks plows in a couple ofmonths so ill use whats left and make one for the tractor

·
Registered
1,799 Posts

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
I just made a steel shop cut me a 2"x48"x1/4" of 1045 steel it is more resistant that cold rolled and was able to drill hole in it with titanium drill.

I pay $17.00 for it because it's a friend.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just made a steel shop cut me a 2"x48"x1/4" of 1045 steel it is more resistant that cold rolled and was able to drill hole in it with titanium drill.

I pay $17.00 for it because it's a friend.
thats an option too i may try that at the metal shop down the street from mesometimes they give away peices of left over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts