My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sears GT 18 built in the early 70's with a Techumseh 18 hp motor. It has always run quite well but a couple of week ago the gear on the starter motor didn't disengage from the flywheel and my son mowed with it for nearly an hour. Needless to say the starter was ruined. I found a brand new starter and installed it today but when I turn the key all I get is one loud click and nothing else. The noise seems to come from under the dash board. I put the battery on the charger and made sure it had a full charge and checked every connection I could find but I'm at my wits end. :banghead3

Anybody have any ideas?

:thanku:

Sawdust

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
The "Clunk"is probably the solenoid trying to engauge the starter..it could be working and no current is getting to the starter due to a bad cable or connection,or it might be internally damaged..a volt meter or light bulb can be used to see if voltage is getting to the starter when the key is turned to "start"..but it may light the bulb up or move the meter,but still not be getting enough amps to activate the starter..

Maybe when the old starter stayed engaged it acted as a generator, and damaged the solenoid..its a long shot,but I suppose its possible...if it cranks over by jumping across the 2 larger terminals on the solenoid using jumper cables or a heavy wire,I'd say the solenoid is probably internally damaged,rusty,etc..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts