My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07124420000P?vName=Lawn+&+Garden&cName=Tractor+Attachments&sName=Carts

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07124489000P?vName=Lawn+&+Garden&cName=Tractor+Attachments&sName=Carts

these are the 2 i'm looking at. i know one is bigger but i think the 10cu ft. will be fine for me. from what i have read here, it sounds like most people prefer the plastic one as opposed to the metal carts so that is why i chose these.
if you have another in mind please let me know. anything for 10-12 cu ft with a dump feature would be fine.

thank you for the help.

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
They are both good just pick the one you will be most happy with. Go and look at them both. About 10 years ago i bought a metal one from Wal Mart for $89.00. It has served me just fine hauling dirt, gravel and wood. Its still in great shape no rust but i do keep it in the shed and not out in the weather.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
You could also go to lowes or HD, the Brinly 17 Cubic Foot Poly Dump cart for $189 or the John Deere 10P (10 Cubic foot) for $219. I prefer poly, steel carts rust. The Brinly will match as it's black.. I bought the JD but if I had to do it again, would get the Brinly because it's bigger and it's cheaper and it matches the tractor :)

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
My 2 cents worth, the 12.5 cu. ft. 'plastic' would be my choice, if I had to replace the one that I have. I'd replace the 'stock' tires for ones that are wider.
I have an older version of the Craftsman metal trailer, which doesn't dump. It has carried a good sized load, but the construction (nut and bolts) allows the side rails to move, making the rear tailgate almost useless. It rusts when left outside, and has the hole in the bed to show for it. It's low to the ground, about 6 inches clearance, but it's got real heavy duty tires. It's wide, so it has difficulty going thru fence gates. But it is NOT top heavy, very stable.
Mine has no 'post' holes in the sides for future wooden side extensions, which I miss.
Search around. That model may be made by one company, but is offered under several 'brand' names, at several different price ranges.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies. i noticed that these 2 are made of 2 different types of plastic, is one better than the other (High Density Polyethylene vs. High density structural foam ) or is it the same thing? also, i don't want to spend a ton of money, that's one reason i was leaning towards the 10 cu ft (i don't think 2.5 will make a big difference for me) but if it doesn't dump then it's out. i will take a look at HD, already went to lowes and saw what they have and sears doesn't display anything. this is why i'm relying on you guys.
thank you.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
They both dump but the 10 has crappy wheelbarrow tires. The 12.5 has better wheels. The stake pockets are nice too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have the 12.5 poly cart. Love it. Yesterday I was hauling rock from one end of my yard to the other. I filled the cart up to the top and it hauled just fine. Two things i didn't like about it were the cart will not dump on its own. I have to get off the tractor and "help" it. The other is when I do dump, I have to shovel out a little bit of material so I can drive off. Otherwise it's the best $100 I spent when I found it on Craigslist. I don't think i'd be able to cough up the $250 Sears wants for a new one.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Where in Caloifornia are you. I am in SO CA. Redlands near San Bernardino ghetto.

Our local store was clearing a little plastic cart off the floor. I got it for $35 pluss tax. If you want it for $40 it is all yours. It is under my boat. I was going to hook it up to one of my handy cap scooters for the swap meet. It is too large and I am walking much better these days. It is only a year old and never has been used. I am not sure what size it is. I have a a metal cart with larger wheels.
The draw back of plastic here in California is that the sun will do it in and in about 6-8 years it will crack. If you put a heavy load in it the thing will twist a little. I am not a fan of plastic. If you are going to slop out the barns go with the larger one. It will clean out and handle the crap very well. IF you are going to haul rock and wood get the metal cart.

If you are not too far from me I can bring it to you. I take weekend trips all the time. I delayed my long road trip for another 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Home Depot sells the John Deere 10P cart like Brett's and also sells a Cub Cadet cart for $30 less. They are made by Brinly and look identical, except for color. HD and Brinly Check it out.

I have a John Deere 80 cart that has sat outside for it's entire 40 year life span. My dad painted it red to match his 990 30 years ago, it is not rusted out anywhere. It is always parked with the tail gate down and the tung up in the air, so the rain, snow and crap doesn't lay in the bed.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
...the cart will not dump on its own. I have to get off the tractor and "help" it. The other is when I do dump, I have to shovel out a little bit of material so I can drive off.
I just put it in reverse and it picks the wheels right off the ground dumping it completely.

·
6,553 Posts
You pay a little more for the JD 10P because it has big tires and rims on it, if that means anything..

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The brinly site says they both have 15x6 tires.

·
6,553 Posts
They sure don't look it... But it's probably a width thing.. The Deere is 15x6x6

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks for the tip LLigetfa. I tried what you suggested, but can't seem to get enough traction. Seems to me that if the wheels get too far off the ground, the trailer tongue would get bent up.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Thanks for the tip LLigetfa. I tried what you suggested, but can't seem to get enough traction. Seems to me that if the wheels get too far off the ground, the trailer tongue would get bent up.
Maybe you have too much weight left in the cart. After I dump, I drive forward a bit to get most of it out and then put it in reverse. It does put quite an angle on the tongue but with mine at least, I can flip the cart right over backwards and nothing bends. Try lifting it by hand with a mostly empty cart to see how much slack there is left on the tongue/hitch. I sometimes dump the last remains that way too if I'm already off the tractor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got the JD 17P from home depot for around $200 on sale. It's a great cart, plenty big enough to hold everything I need - only complaint is difficulty with a full dump, but I see that as a problem with every cart I've looked at.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts