My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, just picked up what i believe is a ford 8n, im having a issue with the pto, it is not staying up or whatever level i choose for it, it just slowly starts moving down, and it wont allow me to cut long grass with my bush hog!! Please Help!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I assume you mean the 3 point hitch since the PTO ( power take off) shaft is stationary. That would be a problem with the hydraulic system. Have you checked the fluid level, do you have any obvious leaks ? Other than those it will probably be an internal may be a return valve issue. I am not very knowledgeable but this might help you get started.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you mean the 3 point hitch since the PTO ( power take off) shaft is stationary. That would be a problem with the hydraulic system. Have you checked the fluid level, do you have any obvious leaks ? Other than those it will probably be an internal may be a return valve issue. I am not very knowledgeable but this might help you get started.

Yes the 3 point hitch, my mistake! Thanks for the correction! No visible leaks fluid is full and clean! I havnt torn into it all the way yet! A little nervous to!

·
Premium Member
8,085 Posts
First, welcome to MytractorForum.com, the friendliest tractor site on the internet.

Here's a link to John Smith's wonderful site on old Ford tractors. Read through that and note his information on where to look for identifying information on your tractor. From the rear wheels alone, yours looks to be either a 9N or a 2N, as the 8N had a different style bolt pattern on the rear wheels. A lot of the parts were the same between all 3 models, the 9N, 2N and 8N, so parts may have been swapped over the years and the serial number on your engine may say that it's an 8N when the rear axle is from a 9N or 2n.

The problem with the 3 point lift may be a leak in any of a number of locations internally in the hydraulics system. First thing to do is get yourself a shop manual.

Link to I&T shop manual for Ford 9N-2N-8N Ford Tractors

If you're going to try to repair it yourself, the best thing to do is buy a top cover repair kit, as it has all of the o-rings, seals and gaskets that you will need to repair most leaks in the system and it's less than $10.00:

Link to top cover repair kit for 9N-2N-8N Ford Tractors

Also, once you've figured out exactly what model you have, get an operator's manual:

Link for 9N-2N Operator's Manual

Link for 8N Operator's Manual

Good luck with your new tractor and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
hello, just picked up what i believe is a ford 8n, im having a issue with the pto, it is not staying up or whatever level i choose for it, it just slowly starts moving down, and it wont allow me to cut long grass with my bush hog!! Please Help!!!!
As stated, it appears that you have a 9N..

One solution to your bush hog problem (until you repair your leak down) is to install limiter chains to hold the hog at your desired position.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! That helps, I'll use a limiter chain until I look into it further, now, what to do about a grader blade and or some sort of loader?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so after investigating the tractor, there aren't any stand out leaks of hydro fluid anywhere! I'm not sure how difficult it will be to tear into it? Can someone tell me the easiest fix for this?!

·
Premium Member
8,085 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts