My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(sorry if you read this same thread in another part of the forum already

Hi everyone! I am new here but have been on discussion boards before...

I could really use some expert help.

My wife and I purchased a home a few months ago, and are still deciding on a lawn tractor...

We have 2.6 Acres with about 1.25 of grass, the rest is woods and hilly. We have pretty steep driveway that is just stone and not paved. We have grass coming up the driveway on both sides, not much but enough to need a ride on mower. I also have alot of rocky areas and areas that I need to becareful when mowing and work on getting the rocks out.

I have been looking at a few mower. the first was the Craftsman YT4000...24hp, 46" deck. I looked at the X320 and really like it. It seems comparable to the craftsman, with more power and a few more options, yet is more money.

The X500, I can get for $4999 from my local JD dealer. The X320 is $3599.

I would be taking advantage of the 5.99% financing that they have available which would cost me anywhere between $70-$100/mo.

The question I have is, which one do you guys think I should get. With the economy the way it is, I am less willing to spend more for the X500, however from searching online the price seems like a great deal, considering its only about 1400 more than the X320.

I would like to use the tractor to mow, move rocks, maybe get a plow for it, and I realize the X500 would be good for plowing. can anyone tell me how good for plowing snow it is?

If I don't get a larger tractor...I am also intrested in getting an ATV with a plow on it if the tractor won't cut it.

any help is surely appreciated! Thanks all!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the same size property as you and started out with an X300 mower and a small kubota tractor. I just consolidated down to one JD 2305 with mid mount mower and quick disconnect front end loader. It is awesome. Little more money for sure, but very nice to have for working around the house. If your looking at anything ground engauging, I would suggest the X500 series or looking used. If you can try to find a used JD garden tractor. The JD 425 or 445 is an awesome garden tractor that can be had for around the same money as the x500 and is a MUCH heavier duty tractor...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't know what kind of terrain you have on your property, but if it's anything like my 3.1 acres of trees, driveways, hills, & gardens, then I strongly suggest that you purchase a GOOD zero turn mower. By good I mean Exmark, Bad Boy, Scag (which I own), or the like. Stay away from the light duty home center (Lowes, Home Depot) offerings as they just won't hold up. Spending a little more money now on a decent commercial grade unit will save you a lot of repair (and eventually replacement) money later if you buy homeowner grade piece of equipment (hard learned experience speaking).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Mikeyorko,
I mow 2 acres most of it level with little grade on one side.
Just bought a new X320 and have mowed 3 times.
It does a "Great" mow job.
It fits the bill for me as it a lot more comfortable than the other mowers i have had.
I love the 48" deck and the fact there are greese fittings were they need be.
I find the engine has all the power i need and the hydro very smooth.
Well worth the money for me.
It has a solid feel and the seat height puts you up well too.
Good luck on picking your mower.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you are thinking about adding a plow you should probably lean towards the X500 which I own and absolutely love. You will also be able to mow faster and spend less time mowing and more time clearing rocks etc. With that amount of mowing do not buy a model sold at the big box stores, even the same model sold at JD dealer locations. It will not hold up. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any advice on the x300 vs x320...besides the bigger deck? I like a bigger deck because you don't have to get so close to objects like a fence or rocks and risk hitting the wheels.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If the hill is as steep as you say, I think you're going to need something with a stronger transaxle than the X300. The X320 has one that manages heat a little better, but you would still be pushing your luck. (Can't say without actually seeing the hill.)

The ideal JD tractor for you is probably the X360, but that one is only a few hundred cheaper than the base X500. If you're spending that much, you might as well get the GT.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the hill is as steep as you say, I think you're going to need something with a stronger transaxle than the X300. The X320 has one that manages heat a little better, but you would still be pushing your luck. (Can't say without actually seeing the hill.)

The ideal JD tractor for you is probably the X360, but that one is only a few hundred cheaper than the base X500. If you're spending that much, you might as well get the GT.
Honestly...I am not a big grade professionall...but to me...I would say its a good 20-40% grade upward...plus its stone

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you get a good z-turn, you can get all kinds of accessories from Jrco (jrcoinc.com). I bought an attachment for my Scag that allows me to mount my Little Wonder blower to the front for leaf blowing, thereby never having to push the blower by hand ever again. They also have a plow available.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you get a good z-turn, you can get all kinds of accessories from Jrco (jrcoinc.com). I bought an attachment for my Scag that allows me to mount my Little Wonder blower to the front for leaf blowing, thereby never having to push the blower by hand ever again. They also have a plow available.
Just strictly looking for a John Deere. thanks though:trink39:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Well, if you are a Deere guy, you could get a lot more by going used. $2K for a 318, $3K for a 425, $4.5K for a 445, $6K for a 455. All cheaper and stronger than an x500.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, if you are a Deere guy, you could get a lot more by going used. $2K for a 318, $3K for a 425, $4.5K for a 445, $6K for a 455. All cheaper and stronger than an x500.
ONly thing is, I don't know if I can finance it with the 5.99 rate special they are running now.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
So either the x300 or x500 would need to be financed. In that case, I would recommend goig with the x500. The x500 is going to be more durable over the long haul, and give you the ability to do more should your needs change.

When I was looking at new, I concluded the x520 would certainly take care of my needs. I was wanting water cooling and the differential lock. My total budget was $5K so I went used.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Mike,

With the hills, rocks, and other needs you allude to (probably relocating some of those rocks), I'm thinking at least the X500. Sorry to disagree with semiretired, a zero turn would not be the right machine here. I could easily make an argument that a small CUT or sub-CUT with a FEL and 4WD would be the right machine, but would be more than you have hinted your budget is for. In any event, I would ask the dealer to allow you to test drive the machine on your property to make sure it is what you need. Has he given you any recommendations?

Happy hunting! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike,

With the hills, rocks, and other needs you allude to (probably relocating some of those rocks), I'm thinking at least the X500. Sorry to disagree with semiretired, a zero turn would not be the right machine here. I could easily make an argument that a small CUT or sub-CUT with a FEL and 4WD would be the right machine, but would be more than you have hinted your budget is for. In any event, I would ask the dealer to allow you to test drive the machine on your property to make sure it is what you need. Has he given you any recommendations?

Happy hunting! :)
he said the X300 would probably fit my needs...actually the x320...I would want the 48" deck so it sticks out further from the wheels...easier to get the deck close to fences, trees etc....

The only thing is the X320 is $3999 and the X500 is $4999. Its almost making me want to go with the bigger because if I am going to spend 4 grand, whats another grand, especially if I can finance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your hills sound similar to my yard. Here's my story. I bought the X320, then I found MTF and started reading about transmissions and the rest is history, so to speak. Like you said, if you're already spending the money on an X320, why not bump up to the X500?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your hills sound similar to my yard. Here's my story. I bought the X320, then I found MTF and started reading about transmissions and the rest is history, so to speak. Like you said, if you're already spending the money on an X320, why not bump up to the X500?
so you wound up upgrading to the X500...do you like it better?

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
so you wound up upgrading to the X500...do you like it better?
Mike,

I think VTGTV has the X320 as of a week ago but is second guessing his decision during the 30-day money back period. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mike,

I think VTGTV has the X320 as of a week ago but is second guessing his decision during the 30-day money back period. :)
I'm second guessing before even buying anything...seriously...confused as to what to get...the way the economy is, I want to not try to spend...is it worth getting an x500 and paying it off for a few years?

I am also intrested in an ATV for the winter to plow, etc...

I hate making decisions..this is like harder than getting a car for me...its more of a toy/work type thing....which I enjoy more than just a car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts