My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I just bought a used (91 hours) CC 3186. I have had problems with it ever since!
Lets start from the beginning. This mower sat for approx 3 years. The owner I bought it from took it in to a shop and had a new carb and new fuel pump put on and everything "cleaned" out from sitting for so long. Well the mower ran great after getting fixed. Before I bought it, The hydraulics quit working. I bought it with that being known, so I got it fixed (new auxillary pump added last week) Well everything was working great. Got it home, mowed about an acre and then everything went south.
One, the bolt holding the starter came loose and the started turned and got eatin up, I pulled it out in about 100 pieces, nothing else seemed broke. So i put a new starter in.
What is now my problem is that if I let go of the brake pedal the tractor shuts off. This seems to only happen when the tractor starts to get warm. If I let it sit overnight, I can start it and it will run fine for about 3 or 4 minutes and then it quits, with the exception of as soon as I start mowing and go forward, the tractor wants to bog down as if it were going through thick, high grass or starving for fuel. After it warms up and the tractor dies, I can start the tractor and keep it running as long as I hold the brake pedal in, but as soon as I let the brake pedal out or if I try to start the mower blades it kills the tractor!!! I have replaced the brake switch hoping that may be it but that didnt help. It is full of oil, so I dont know if the oil sentry protection thing may be the cause of this? maybe the sensor went bad? I HAVE NO CLUE!!! It is driving me crazy. If anyone has ANY idea at all PLEASE help!!!
I am sorry for such a long post for my first post!!
Thanks so much in advance!!!!!
Eric

·
Branded for LIFE !!!
4,451 Posts
horsehauler:: Can't really Help but sounds like a safety switch problem?? ..Don't know but this will bump you back to top...Welcome to the Site..:Welcome1: ...:trink40:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! We tried bypassing the safety switch before, But i dont know if that would cause the mower to bog down the way it does too...
Thanks again
Eric

·
Branded for LIFE !!!
4,451 Posts
I must of missed the bogging down part.Sorry..I thought it was shuting off ..got to be fuel related or timing..I'm thinking??....Some one hear will have the answer your looking for..B,:trink40:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Perhaps you should leave the switches alone right now. If you change them while still having fuel/fire problems, it won't help at all.

Stick a spark checker (the kind you place in series with the lead, and a light comes on when it fires) in the lead. See how it does with right side monitoring. Then, see how it does with left side monitoring. This will tell you if it's a lack of fire. Drive it and see. May have someone walk along and look at it. Or, you might be able to hold a mirror and see the spark tester while you drive.

One thing I forgot to ask: when it bogs down, do you have smoke coming out? If it's rich, that could be a stuck float.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Ouch.

A few things jump out at me. Regarding the engine bogging, it could be the throttle governor. Since the carb was removed, it's possible that the linkage wasn't reassembled correctly. It is also possible that the car isn't adjust correctly. Check it against factory specs. Is it even the correct carb? It wouldn't surprise me if a shop put on a carb that "looked" close enough.

The engine stopping when the brake is released sure does sound like switch issue, but it may be related the the carb issue. It could also be a bad wire/connector far from the switch. You mentioned that the tractor sat idle for 3-years. Is it possible that some mice munched on the wiring harness? Time for a feel test on the harness. Run you fingers along the wires looking, and feeling, for a bur. Good ol' black tape is a certain fix if you find anything.

The starter coming loose and grenading on the fly-wheel; just bad luck. Did you inspect the flywheel for broken or damaged teeth?

The 3186 is a great machine. When you finally get it sorted out you'll love it. But I'm sure you don't feel the love just yet.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I agree on the governor could be part of the problem.

And, your carb should be "the one" for that model.

Gary's right on these.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts