My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever tried their hand at plastic welding ? I see there are kits that are not as expensive as a JD hood. I understand you get what you pay for and that sonic is probably better than a heat welder. Sonic is out of the question due to price, but if the cheaper ones work it might be worth having around.

Just want to know if anyone has tried it on a hood, if it worked well and stayed fixed ?

What type plastic are these hoods made of ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
We use plastic welders at our business for making prototypes. They work well for polyethylene as long as it is about a 3/16" or thicker. Even then you have to be careful not to melt through. I have welded PVC sheets but they make more of a mess with burnt plastic. My guess is Deere hoods are made from some grade or compound of ABS (acryl-butyl-styrene). Even if the ABS compound were weldable, the thinness would likely make for an unholy looking weldment with burn-throughs and brittle joints. Epoxy made be a better way to go for fixing cracks followed by sanding and painting.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
My question has always been, "How do you know which plastic you are welding?" I can't tell one from the other, and I've heard it's critical to get it right or you'll screw everything up.

·
Master of the obvious
48 Posts
My question has always been, "How do you know which plastic you are welding?" I can't tell one from the other, and I've heard it's critical to get it right or you'll screw everything up.
Look on the plastic for a series of letters to determine which type of plastic it is. Here is a link to acronyms. http://www.professionalplastics.com/ACRONYMS. The government requires every piece of plastic to be stamped with its chemical acronym.

·
Make Better Mowers
1,970 Posts
You might consider a fibreglass repair kit. I've had success with it on various substances. It'll stick to most anything!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Brother used a plastic welder to make rear gear case covers on both of our JD G pulling tractors. The 3lb in plastic was lighter then the 350 lb PTO/hydro/rockshaft that was there. One was made from smoked plastic so you could see through it but it appeared darker so it matched the black paint on the tractor. The highschool had the welder and there is many filler rods you can use. You gouge out the weld path with the welder and then use the filler to make it attach and smooth out, buff as needed. It used hot air.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
you can weld the hood with heat I've done it, if you weld from the back you still see the crack but at least it does not seperate, for now...

Deere uses bad plastic, over time UV makes it brittle and it cracks. So even if you repair/weld the hood, unless its a new damaged hood, it will just crack again in short order... and look like crap the whole time anyway.

I know I repaired first... if you're lucky and have a two-part hood, that can allow you to replace it in steps...

BTW - Deere could use a MUCH better plastic formulation and eliminate the probelm, my snowmobile's plastic hood can withstand almost anything and still looks like new!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts