My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what do you use as a guide when you're making long straight cuts. I know they say to use something non-conductive, but wood burns and usually isn't straight enough for a guide. I've used an old level, aluminum one, and that didn't do too bad. But it got way to hot to remove when you're done with the cut. So any ideas what would be best?

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
in the past ive used either an aluminum level or a sacrificial piece of straight angle.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I usually use angle iron as a straight edge guide when plasma cutting. My templates, I usually cut from 1/4" hardborad or MDF. I also use an aluminum speed square as a short straight edge sometimes. Never noticed any problem using conductive material as a guide. I guess there's something I don't know there, wouldn't be the first time......:thThumbsU

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
Usa a glass cutting frame... Slide in your chunk of steel and let your plasma cutter holder follow the track..

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
For O/A torch cutting Ive always used a piece of 1/4"x2" flat bar 52" long w/ 6 pieces of it cut 1 3/4" long to weld evenly spaced on one side of it w/ the 2" edge parallel to the flat bar edge to hold it off the surface being cut. The extra 4" gives you a 2" overhang on each side of a 4' piece to help you get the cut started. You can clamp each end down or if you have magnetic squares, stick them down on the piece being cut and against the straight edge opposite the side the torch is using. I don't own a plas but haven't heard of a steel straight edge affecting them.
Mike

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Huh there are some real great ideas. I don't know why they say not to use conductive material, possibly the chance of a stray shock getting you, but thanx for the replys. Kbeitz that glass cutting frame seems like the way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts