My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I finally got my acre plus lot levelled (had ditching fill dumped there) so I decided to plant potatoes first (May 4th) We planted 10 rows 75 feet long each. Took a while to get ready the soil as I am currently using an old 3.5 HP mastercraft front tine tiller. I am in Nova Scotia, on the North Mountain. We (Wife and I) Have 5 children and had been living the urban (townie) life for the 14 years previous but our cottage lot was so nice we decided to live there-here. What a nice change to be living a more country lifestyle. I do not think we have grown in the last 30-50 years, we have just simplified processes instead of making progress. The children who I thought would be board shortly after moving here full time are so busy collecting eggs and running all over the place, have said even planting potatoes is awesome. Good bye GAMEBOY hello HOE.:thThumbsU

·
Banned
344 Posts
Sounds to me, that you are planting the seeds for more than just potatoes.

Not refering to the fact that you have 5 children, but instead to the long term benefit of those 5 having the expeirences of country life.

·
Registered
639 Posts
That's great that your kids are interested. My kids grew up on a farm, and I think they have more respect for it than other kids. Glad you got your potatoes in. If it rains much more here, maybe we'll just toss 'em in the garden and watch 'em sink.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
(had ditching fill dumped there)
Perhaps not as much an issue today as it was when there was lead in the fuel, but soil dredged out of roadside ditches could be heavily contaminated. Fine for base fill under a lawn but I wouldn't grow a root crop in it.

·
GramPa
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps not as much an issue today as it was when there was lead in the fuel, but soil dredged out of roadside ditches could be heavily contaminated. Fine for base fill under a lawn but I wouldn't grow a root crop in it.
Very true...never plant a crop over ditching fill especially when if comes from the country...ah we sometimes see sewers going to the ditch. NO the garden is not near the portion that had fill, the lot just needed to be leveled before I planted my garden. GOOD TIP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 20 acres that I want to grow vegs. I'm going to spend this year getting the farm in shape and plant next year. I'm from Ontario and want to grow potatoes and sweet potatoes. What kind of equiment will I need ? Got the tractor (75hp at the PTO ) but that's about it so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts