My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a drawing of a planter point.

It is assumed that structural steel is used.

The cut appears to be done by machine using either gas or plasma cutting technlogy.

The slot cut in the hex shaft is likely about 1.5" deep

Attachments

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Great drawing with all the useful information. Thanks Richard for posting it. This thread is now stuck. :fing32:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Having just destroyed one home-made planter point and bent my tie-rods (or something else in the steering) trying to dig a trench I'll weigh in on this thread.

The slot in the hex shaft having the same opening as the thickness of your point steel is a good thing. Also, having a nice flat bottom in the slot so the flat end of the point sets right on it is important. This means the bolt hole on the point needs to be in the right place to make sure that happens. This fit-up keeps the point from rotating around the bolt in the slot and getting ripped out (ask me how I know).

The digging point works best straight down. It does NOT work very well as a trenching tool. Especially if your trench is going up and down a hill and there are lots of roots in the way. YIKES!

I was trying to dig a narrow and deep trench using just the digging point (no plow blades) but it really isn't worth it. I'd need to drill holes about every 3 inches on the hex shaft so I could adjust it in 1 or 2 inch depth increments and after all that drilling and digging that slowly I should have just dug the thing by hand.

Or I could have made something like a vertical trenching knife. Think of a 10 inch blade about 3 inches wide mounted vertically on the shaft (maybe bolted to it in several places) that had a slight curve in it - as if it were trying to wrap around the shaft. Not like an auger that winds around it like a screw. More like you took a piece of 3 inch pipe, cut in half lengthwise, and bolted one edge to the shaft. Sharpen the other edge so it cuts as it's spun. Now that might work...

OR, rented a TRENCHING MACHINE. Ha! Imagine getting the right tool for the job.

Well, it was kind of fun and I learned a few things about the tractor.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The last few times I needed a shallow trench, I just plowed it. I took a couple of passes but it got the job done. I also used the plow when putting holes in the ground for some trees I was transplanting. Sure the hole was about 2-3 feet in diameter when I got done, but it beats digging by hand. Done right, the dirt from the hole is off to one side.

The trees are doing well and already have leaves on them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts