My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 5 acres under high voltage power lines that i want to plant hay on. Its mostly breyers weeds and small scraggly bushes. What do I need to do to plant hay?

·
Registered
312 Posts
There are a lot of steps involved to planting a hay meadow. These are just a few:
Soil test, weed control, fertility, rainfall, and sunshine. I would start with the soil test and then get rid of the weeks, briers and brush. Disc and drag the meadow to get it as smooth as possible. Decide on the type of grass you want and then either plant seed or sprig. If you do the prep work now at the beginning, you will reap benefits and great reward at the end.

PS. Remember that the power company has a right of way down the power lines, but if you tell them what you are doing, they will try to keep their equipment to one side or the other of your hay field.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Good tips from fwinters, around here i'd probably have to turn the ground with a plow first to get rid of the invasive stuff, being in FLA, you could get by with the disc, i'd disc it under, wait 2 weeks & disc it again to start it out.
If the ground is hardpacked, you may want to use a rebreaker first before the disc to allow more water penetration.

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Im not planting it for my own animals but I may sell it. Is there any way to bale hay without a baler? Or is there another type of grass I could plant for just a meadow look that I wouldnt have to cut?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
It's kind of hard to get baled hay w/o a baler:sorry1: some operations put it up loose just for feeding purposes, not resell. You could check with your local Ag Agent for farmers in the area that would be interested in cutting the 5 acres if it is easily accessible, they maybe willing to split cost with you if it's something they can use.
Clover is a short crop that comes to mind.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
if you are just wanting it as a ground cover, you could offer the hay to anyone that wants to come bale it. or you could do it on a "share" basis. I have seen a lot of ads on CL around here wanting people to bale hay on their property and the Baler gets half of what ever is produced as payment for his services.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm. I dont think I could get anyone to bale it because im kind of in town. Can someone explain how a baler works exactly?

·
Registered
231 Posts
go to youtube and search baling hay, lots of videos (plenty with N tractors too).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts