My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I picked up a planter and fertilizer unit the other day that I think will work on my A. After some research, I believe it is a 172 runner planter that was actually made for the cub. The only difference that I can find so far is that the spacing for the mounting brackets (on the side of the bell housing) is only slightly different between the cub and the A. I have made a couple of "adapter" plates to mount the planter and fertilzer drive units. From what I have read, all of these side-mount planters are driven from a gear that mounts on the right rear final drive. When I removed the dust cover (held on by 4 9/16" bolts) I'm only seeing one large bolt in the middle of what looks like a keyed collar that slips over the end of a rectangle-shaped end of the axle. Does anyone know what parts are needed to attach the drive gear to an A? I have heard that the A and Super A planter drive gear assemblies are identical, but I don't understand how it all goes together as I haven't been able to find any pictures or parts diagrams. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

I am adding a couple of pics with the planter drive mounted. My next step will be adding the fertilizer unit, then working through any issues I find with the lift system. This tractor had the lift-all exhaust system lift (the exhaust lift cylinder doesn't work), so I am thinking of replacing the lift cylinder with an electric winch. Hopefully will have all everything ready by the spring planting season!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I finally ran across a planter that was actually made for the A and I now have that one setup on the tractor, with the correct final drive gear. This one has a different seed drive on it so I'll have to find the hopper that fits. From what I am finding online, it looks like this is the drive for either a duplex or POAX hopper. Here's the link for anyone interested.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts