My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i removed the steering box to see if i could stop the column from turning and seal it so water will stay out. i got it completely apart except the pitman which prevents me from removing the mounting bracket and one last inside piece. i tried using my pulley puller, which gets used for a lot more then just pulling pulleys, it didnt budge at all and it was tight as could be, i didnt want to tighten it any more as the puller felt like it was going to break or pop off and hit me. also i think somebody else had steering wheel off one other time because after the it came off almost too easy i noticed the silver stuff, only one thing that could be. to bad there wasn't any never seize on the pitman, any ideas how to get it off?

this is what was inside after i took off the back cover, i fliped it over to get it out and it didnt even drip for the first 20 seconds.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had the same problem removing mine when the pitman shaft froze in the housing. I went to the auto parts store and bought a pitman puller. The're actually pretty cheap. They get a better grip on the small pitman as they have only two fixed jaws with a slot just big enough for the shaft to slip into.

Soak the joint with PB then put it on and apply pressure. To the point when you think it will break. Then leave it for a day or two. Lightly tap the screw with a hammer a couple of times. Apply a little more pressure and more PB and leave a couple of days. Keep repeating, it will finally pop. Make sure not to hit it so hard you mushroom the hex on the screw of knock the puller off.

I have only had to cut one part to get something free and only had to use a press once on a damaged axle shaft. Everything eventually came apart with penetrating oil and time.

Have patence young Jedi. The PB takes some time to work. Also note, the pitman is tapered. So the more the nut was tightened the tighter the joint got.

·
Registered
585 Posts
i believe there is a nut in the round bottom that holds it in there if im not mistaken i believe i have pics pf one pulled a part posted

·
Registered
371 Posts
Off topic a lttle, but when I filled mine with oil, it leaked out in less that a week. When I took it apart, it looked like the gasket hadn't been installed correctly @ the factory. I wonder if it leaked from day 1. Doesn't leak now.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys about an hour ago i put the puller on tightened it a lot then sprayed it with crc power lube (its gotten some crazy things unseized, hopefully it can do it again) also the gasket on mine was in exelent condition.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I am not big on brand name dropping, but.....
Since the 70's I've used WD, liquid wrench, CRC, LPS, just about all of them. I never liked PB because the lable is so goofy looking. But I was working on something at a friends house and thats all he had. It seemed to me that this stuff just worked a little quicker/better then what I was used to. I got a can of PB for my self just last year and will never use anything else. I got stuff loose that I was sure would have to cut apart.

I guess everybody has a similar story for the brand they use but for me it's PB.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I am not big on brand name dropping, but.....
Since the 70's I've used WD, liquid wrench, CRC, LPS, just about all of them. I never liked PB because the lable is so goofy looking. But I was working on something at a friends house and thats all he had. It seemed to me that this stuff just worked a little quicker/better then what I was used to. I got a can of PB for my self just last year and will never use anything else. I got stuff loose that I was sure would have to cut apart.

I guess everybody has a similar story for the brand they use but for me it's PB.
If you got to gym regularly or work the farm enough you shouldn't need p.b or wd40, course i myself do neither so i use all the help i can get.:ROF.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hear that! I'm to long in the tooth to beat the crap out of things cause I'm in a hurry. Usually end up messing it up and have to fab a new one. So the soak and tap method is my mantra.:00000061:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got it off, i put a pretty good amount of tension on the puller and smacked the pitman on the edge with a hammer and it jumped off. got it all cleaned up and put back together. this is what i ended up with.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I see your ball bearing cage is missing.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no it was there.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Didn't look like it in the photo, I guess its in there?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea its in there but unfortinutly I put it backwards and it wont steere right and the cage is bent, that's why you couldent see it, and after I got it together after trying the pitman In a bunch of spots I eventuly put the nut crooked and stripped the nut and pitman shaft thing now I have to get it taped and take it apart to buy new barings, I should have just left it alone, its worse now then it was before

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the treads fixed. Anybody know were to get bearings? Or what size they are so I can find them elsewhere?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think Jerry Frank has them,just make sure you are sitting down when you get the price.
for bearings? ill see if i can find them at an auto parts store.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The last place I got bearings from was ebay actually. They were for the spindle on my Allis Chalmers mowing deck. I've found that most (most) of the time bearings are bearings if you can cross the number with something you are in business.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The last place I got bearings from was ebay actually. They were for the spindle on my Allis Chalmers mowing deck. I've found that most (most) of the time bearings are bearings if you can cross the number with something you are in business.
thanks, ill see if i can track down a number

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you find them let us know what they are and where you got em. They are the only bearings I have not been able to find replacements for. (save the 13 needles for the tranny too)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you find them let us know what they are and where you got em. They are the only bearings I have not been able to find replacements for. (save the 13 needles for the tranny too)
oh boy, im going to autozone tomorrow morning, ill let you know if i can find anything

1 - 20 of 32 Posts