My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everone using for ring compressors?-particularly in my case for a Duraforce. The Manual lists part number TOR4089 but RCPW doesn't carry it. I found this:
http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/Tools/Tools-Rebuild.asp
part number 42-217

would this work based upon dimensions of our Lawnboys (Duraforce, V series Etc.)?

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
I have not put rings in a Duraforce but all other LBs, I just use my fingers, the cylinder jug is chamfered. A large hose clamp will do the job, I have a regular ring compressor that I use for B&S engines, they are cheap.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not put rings in a Duraforce but all other LBs, I just use my fingers, the cylinder jug is chamfered. A large hose clamp will do the job, I have a regular ring compressor that I use for B&S engines, they are cheap.

Walt Conner

Where's the best place to get a small engine ring compressor like yours cheap? Will this work?

http://tewarehouse.com/7-05238

·
Registered
437 Posts
Where's the best place to get a small engine ring compressor like yours cheap? Will this work?

http://tewarehouse.com/7-05238
Those will not work on a LB because they do not have a removable cylinder head. The jug serves as cylinder and head all in one. I made my own out of a thin piece of sheet steel that is only about a inch wide. I bent it around a old piston to get the correct radius. Then I bent the ends out 90 degrees so I could use that as a squeeze area for your fingers which in turn compresses the rings around the piston. Once the rings slide in let go of the two ends and pull the compressor off from around the rod. Hope this makes sense.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
"Those will not work on a LB because they do not have a removable cylinder head."

Well the Duraforce that he mentioned specifically does have a removable head but as I said, I have never put rings in one of those. I think maybe they have a crankshaft where the parts are pressed together with the rod trapped in the middle and not easily removable(?) so piston would need to go in bottom also?

Yes the rings compressor illustrated is similar to the one I have. I got mine from Stens Small Engine Supply years ago through a registered dealer friend. They have an on line site but have never used it.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Those will not work on a LB because they do not have a removable cylinder head."

Well the Duraforce that he mentioned specifically does have a removable head but as I said, I have never put rings in one of those. I think maybe they have a crankshaft where the parts are pressed together with the rod trapped in the middle and not easily removable(?) so piston would need to go in bottom also?

Yes the rings compressor illustrated is similar to the one I have. I got mine from Stens Small Engine Supply years ago through a registered dealer friend. They have an on line site but have never used it.

Walt Conner
Could I not remove the crank with rod attached, reattach piston and go in the from the bottom still? I think because the case breaks apart it should be feasible no?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose with only two rings I could just use my fingers to get them in the bore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts