My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous piston blew a hole in the head. I have the new one on the crankshaft w/wrist pins ready to go. My question is what is the break in procedure for the new rings? I've heard many different things.

Btw, the engine is a 20hp briggs and stratton twin cylinder and will be used commercially.

·
somanytractorsolittletime
493 Posts
Did you hone the cylinder? If you didn't it will take longer to seat the rings. If you did hone it, start the engine crank it up to full 10-15 seconds,then bring it down to idle 10 15 seconds. do this ten times, your done!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
On a twin cylinder both set of rings should be replaced at the same time. Cylinders must be deglazed or the new rings will never seat properly resulting in lower compression/less HP and abnormal oil consumption.

Although not the optimum way to go, a cheap "bottle brush" or "ball" style hone will at least deglaze the cylinders and give the rings a good chance at seating.
After deglazing wipe cylinders with a white cloth and household rubbing alcohol
until the cloth no longer shows any discoloration.

If you don't clean them REALLY good that fine metal grit created by the deglazing will cause trouble in a short amount of time. Oil up the bores and rings before installing with regular motor oil. Make sure the ring gaps are staggered, not lined up with the one above or below.

Break in: Run engine at 50% load for 3 hours with intermittent periods of full load. In other words, use it! Placing a load on the engine causes pressure to rise in the cylinders and will result in proper ring seating.

The worst thing to do with fresh rings is let it idle for extended periods of time!

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
"Break in: Run engine at 50% load for 3 hours with intermittent periods of full load. In other words, use it! Placing a load on the engine causes pressure to rise in the cylinders and will result in proper ring seating."
onanparts.com is right. Use it the way you will always use it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts