My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a GT18 with a briggs for a parts machine, guy said it just quit working on him one day and was blowing smoke....so I took it apart and the exhaust valves where stuck open , I managed to get the valves moving again with some pb blaster but the piston on one side is barely moving ...it comes out about 1 1/2 -2 inches and then stops without making the full stroke.....is this thing shot or what do you think? I also lubed up the piston with pb blaster and it moved a little bit more but only in the "out" direction...it doesn't pull back in....any ideas? I'm not much of a mechanic...

·
Registered
484 Posts
If it only goes out and not back in it has a broken rod by the sound of it.

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
Broken rod id say....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bummer ...but I learn something new everyday....and it looks like I'm about to learn allot more...Thank you gents for your input.

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
Get ahold of Tater305 Ithink it is, he is a brinks opposed twin NUT, he might have parts for u and can tell u how to fix it...

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,170 Posts
Get ahold of Tater305 Ithink it is, he is a brinks opposed twin NUT, he might have parts for u and can tell u how to fix it...
Well I don't think he is the only one who has experience with those since I made a specialty of rebuilding them for a few years when it was profitable.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts