My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I just about have all of the parts painted and new ones collected to start reassembling my 8401. I decided to pull the muffler and check out the exhaust ports. ARRRRGGGGG........see pics. Looks like to me that the rings might be not too bad, but there seems to be way too much blow-by. Any opinions?

I really didn't want to tear the engine down and hoped I could just start reassembling things. Now, I am beginning to think that I should replace the piston and rings. Probably if I don't, I will be wishing I did down the road. Any advice on tackling this job would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Looks good to me. Trust me, I've seen sooooo much worse....that looks quite good actually. Just make sure there isn't a ring gap over the port...otherwise put the muffler back on and start using two ounces of seafoam in your gas/oil mix and the little bit of carbon buildup on the ring grooves will start to diminish after a year of use.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good to me. Trust me, I've seen sooooo much worse....that looks quite good actually. Just make sure there isn't a ring gap over the port...otherwise put the muffler back on and start using two ounces of seafoam in your gas/oil mix and the little bit of carbon buildup on the ring grooves will start to diminish after a year of use.
Indy452,

No ring gap over the ports. Never used seafoam before. Is that two ounces per gallon? I will check it out. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
seafoam is fantastic. I have used it in may vehicles and lots of small engines. I don't know exactly how it works, but it sure does. I have seen it smooth out several rough running engines.

I had an 80's chevy gas 350 truck that would "diesel" sometimes when i shut it off. did the seafoam treatment in the tank, and down the intake and it stopped! I asked an old mechanic about it and he said that those intakes built up carbon and would do that from time to time.

Anyway I always keep some handy

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
seafoam is fantastic. I have used it in may vehicles and lots of small engines. I don't know exactly how it works, but it sure does. I have seen it smooth out several rough running engines.

I had an 80's chevy gas 350 truck that would "diesel" sometimes when i shut it off. did the seafoam treatment in the tank, and down the intake and it stopped! I asked an old mechanic about it and he said that those intakes built up carbon and would do that from time to time.

Anyway I always keep some handy
my 85 buick with a rocket 307 would do that......sea foam always made the dieseling stop and it helped so much with the winter cold starts :thThumbsU

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
CRC has a new product out now similar to Seafoam. Advance Auto selling it for $5 per can/pint this month. Gonna give some a try. I hate paying $7 for Seafoam on sale! Seen it as high as $9! REDICULOUS!!

·
Member #495
3,827 Posts
I have to say that Seafoam has really come through this year on my Stihl FS55 weed wacker. It wouldn't run up to wide open throttle without stalling. I ran Seafoam and then let it sit for a few days. Came back and it started good and went right to full throttle. The ethanol in the fuel is wrecking my engines. My weedwackers I don't use every week so sometimes they will sit idle for a few weeks. I've got Stabil in the tanks but it doesn't work too good on my stuff as of late. Seafoam has the action of a lacquer thinner to remove the varnish. I keep some around usually all the time, it isn't cheap but the good stuff rarely is.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Yeah. This ethanol stuff blows chunks! I had to put a kit in my hand held Echo blower this year after only 3 years of moderate use and running the tank dry at the end of season. I use a concoction of juices in my fuel to help curb this, but it still got me! I tell everyone who ask, Stabil at a minimum, and run dry at the end of the season. I won't leave ANY fuel treated or otherwise in equipment now like I did in years past. It seems to chew through fuel line these days like nothing! Even Tygon is toast after 3 to 4 years it seems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Seafoam contains 10-20% isopropyl alcohol according to their MSDS sheet.

Using E10 pump gas has the same active ingredient (alcohol). Seafoam will cause a leaner fuel/oil mix if the carb is not adjusted for the extra oxygen in the (Seafoam)+E10.

Your rings are sticking, that's why there is blowby. Try switching to an ester based 2 stroke oil to gradually dissolve the deposits.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your rings are sticking, that's why there is blowby. Try switching to an ester based 2 stroke oil to gradually dissolve the deposits.
I know that is why there is blow-by. I would agree that if using an ethanol fuel, there would be extra oxygen compared to straight gasoline. I believe that's why they give ethanol based fuel a higher octane rating.

I have been using Sthil non-synthetic oil in all of my 2-cycle equipment. I recently bought a Sthil hedgetrimmer and they said if I bought and used the Sthil synthetic, they would double the warranty.....so that's what I have been using late this summer. I mix it at about 45:1. So far, no issues with that mix.

The engine pic are from one that I just acquired, so I don't know what kind of oil was used in it and since it is a 1980 model, who really knows? I got a bottle of the Seafoam and will try it out and see how that works. Thanks for everyone's advice.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I use Seafoam because it's been a proven performer for me but I only use it in the first and last tank of the season or if I feel that the carb has gummed up for some other reason. A bottle lasts a long time that way. Throughout the year, all my engines get MMO on a constant basis.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use Seafoam because it's been a proven performer for me but I only use it in the first and last tank of the season or if I feel that the carb has gummed up for some other reason. A bottle lasts a long time that way. Throughout the year, all my engines get MMO on a constant basis.
Hi Orangedotfever,

I hate to have to ask, but what is MMO? Thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Marvel Mystery Oil.

I use both seafoam and MMO in my gas and had good results.
Thanks for the heads up on Marvel Mystery Oil. Seems like I had heard at some point about using it as an oil treatment before, but the MMO stumped me. Thanks.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
I've used it in every vehicle and piece of equipment I own that burns fuel with no problems only good performance. Every time I dose my 4.0 liter Jeep, I get about 2 mpg more! Thats a good thing!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts