My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just experience a titan of a tropical storm in Connecticut. Power out for 6-10 days depending on one’s karma. Lots of trees down, branches too.
I cleaned up all of the big stuff, just loaded it onto bucket forks and set it out with the debris along the road for the town to pick up. The little stuff was left behind and last week I mowed over it, that finished off the old blades on my SCAG so I set out to rake by hand. I’ve got about an acre of trash to rake up and that’s more than I want to do, plus it happens every year at least once or twice.
So a pine straw rake looks like what I need, my landscape rake is scalping what I laughingly call my turf.
One that seems promising is made, strangely enough, by Titan, $300 on Amazon or the Titan site, both offer free delivery. The Titan weighs in at 120 lbs, the other Amazon offering for $255 weighs 57 pounds. The Titan has spares a ailable too.
Has anyone either owned this brand or just used a pine straw rake for this sort of work?I like some feedback that wasn’t filtered through the manufacturer. Thanks.

·
Kioti SCUT
394 Posts
Yes. And I'm also in CT.

I lost 6 large trees in the same storm. My yard looked like it had been bombed. I cut up the large stuff with my chainsaw, and hauled it away with my SCUT. But I had hundreds of small branches everywhere on my 1.5 acre lawn.

I already had a Field Tuff 60" 3pt pine straw rake that I'd used a few times. I bought it on Amazon a few years ago for $221.00 with free shipping. I brought 2 large draw pins at Tractor Supply and used them to connect to the lower lift arms.

I used the rake to sweep the whole yard, raising it at the end of each sweep to leave a long "wind-row" of brush pointed toward the woods. Then I dropped the FEL, with Edge Tamers, and pushed the whole wind-row into the woods. I cleared my whole yard without ever getting off the tractor. Just let the rake "float" with no extra weight.

It worked really well. I've used the same rake with about 60 lbs of weight (8 x 8 timbers) to rip up old crabgrass.

Cal

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I've got the long leaf pines and usually just mow them up. Two years ago a friend asked me to collect what I could for him to use as bedding for his wolf hybrid. Used an Agri-Fab spring tine dethatcher. A couple of passes and he had enough for the year.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The responses you have gotten from members mimics my experience. First I live in Bear Creek, WI and our ground is heavy clay. I also have many Chinese Elms and they leave lots of trash on the lawn, especially during the winter months. I have bought several de-thatchers and a debris rake and an estate rake, they work with varying amounts of success. The de-thatchers work best because with their spring tines they jump around and cause the least amount of damage to the lawn. With our clay, when damage occurs it has to be manually repaired, it doesn't self heal. I have a broken back and bad knees so getting on/off the tractor is tough and doing it as few times as possible is desirable. The de-thatchers load up and need to be manually cleaned out - so on/off the tractor. I built a self-cleaning system with two linear actuators and expanded mesh to push the debris off the spring tines, but the system added too much weight to the de-thatcher, so it dug into my lawn too deep. The debris rake/pine straw rake didn't get the small stuff. The estate rake is a work in progress, but classically are too light and start to dog track when the load they are moving gets heavy. My plan is to mount the estate rake solidly to my Cub Cadet 3000 series, so the weight of the tractor keeps it in line. The best answer I have found is a de-thatcher mounted to the hydraulic front hitch on my Cub. I built a custom 4 row spring tine de-thatcher that is 48" wide and I can lift with the hydraulics. At the moment cleaning is still manual with a pitch fork, but is easier if you get your wife to do that. If she doesn't help then she can just rake the whole yard.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts