My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:crybaby: Last week I told you my Kohler exploded in a cloud of oil smoke (oil spraying on HOT muffler). This week I repaired the problem, a blown breather gasket. Note the new gasket is a solid piece with holes punched in and original gasket has channels with no support for outside seal. This is why you need to order from reputable supplier so you get the latest upgrade. ( I ordered through Sears). E-bay etc. may have dated, discontinued stock. The plate itself appeared identical. I used the new one that came with the kit. Part#24-033-03-S, includes plate, gasket and pipe thread plug. $15.18 :bannana:

The breather gasket has to hold the full oil pressure, oil from the crank is routed to the camshaft via this breather plate and passages drilled in the engine block. At least thats what I figure Kohler has done. On older Horizontal engines the breather actually functions as a "breather" and has some filter material under the plate as well as a vent to the outside. Newer models have a low oil pressure warning switch mounted on this plate. There is a threaded plug for a oil gage or pressure switch.

It took a few hours but it wasn't the "Nightmare" I thought it might be. Oh and yes it worked ( no additional sealer used or needed ) :drunkie:

Attachments

·
Buy High, Sell Low
511 Posts
Hmm...were there any symptoms leading up to the failure? I too have the 25 Kohler Pro twin, and am wondering if I shouldn't do this as preventative maintenance? Any insight or forewarnings as to what may lead the failure?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...were there any symptoms leading up to the failure? I too have the 25 Kohler Pro twin, and am wondering if I shouldn't do this as preventative maintenance? Any insight or forewarnings as to what may lead the failure?
I did notice some oil stains in the garage but I figured it was Crankshaft seal. I bought the GT5000 used this Spring for 700. Anyway I added a Johnny Bucket and was piling up some dirt making a big hill so maybe the oil was sloshing around, I was also "stabbing" the tractor into dirt to grab a bucket full, again maybe oil was sloshing around and could have stressed the gasket. Finally I cut a hole in the Hood to keep the engine cooler, this could have cause the oil to be thicker? Was running 10-30 as recommended. Finaly I stopped the tractor to take pictures, after I restarted about 2 or 3 minutes it blew.

So if your having oil leaks see it it's wet around there. Fortunatly when mine blew the oil gushed out like a Garden hose soaking the muffler clouds of smoke so I knew what happened and shut it down right away. A slower leak could run you dry. When it happened I was worried the darn thing was going to start on fire. It looked like one of those NASCAR cars when they blow an engine.

·
Buy High, Sell Low
511 Posts
Well I had the carb off of mine today and all seemed ok, but that doesn't mean the redesigned gasket and plate may just be a worthwhile investment.
First I have to siphon the hydro oil out and put fresh in...she's whining like a cat in heat.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I wished I had ordered some Hydro gaskets at the same time, oh well. I hear you can pull the Hydro pump off the bottom to drain it.

·
Buy High, Sell Low
511 Posts
Here's an off topic question....what is the wire coming out of the bottom of the carb bowl do? I traced it back and just don't understand it's purpose?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it cuts fuel so it doesn't evaporate from the bowl and cause pollution. My newer Zero Turn mower has the same thing and I live in Kansas, few pollution controls here. Evaporative Fuel vapor is a real no-no for pollution.

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
its a solenoid so when u turn the key off the plunger closes the main jett off out of the bowl, I was told by our local dealer it so if u shut it off wide open it keeps it from back firing when sucking in raw fuel into hot cylinder....On my pullers(we use the horizontals) we just snip the end of that plunger off so as to NEVER shut fuel flow off.....so it doesnt hurt to have it or to not have it unless you want all the latest and greatest safety devices!

·
Landscaping Nut
1,362 Posts
I don't guess that motor had an hour guage on it. Curious as to how many hours were on it. What year was the tractor?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't guess that motor had an hour guage on it. Curious as to how many hours were on it. What year was the tractor?
No hour meter, former owner used it only to mow grass. Didn't look used too much, engine sounds tight/solid, Hydro works fine not noisy.

Think it's a 2007. Here's the serial number you tell me.

Garden Tractor
25.0 HP, 48" Mower
Electric Start
Automatic Transmission
Model No.

Engine is:
Model CV730S
Spec CV730-0017
Family: 3KHXS.7252GC

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,266 Posts