My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The past couple of weekends I've spent getting my 1949 Jacobsen Lawn Queen mowing and running again. I decided the best thing to do would be to pull the original engine off to take it appart and go through everything on it as I'd like to replace the gaskets and sort out the issue of it not getting spark as I've already ruled out that it's not the points, condenser or timing. I'd also like to install a newer carburetor that I have on it so I thought that would give me a good chance to rebuild that and stick it on. I'll probably 'put' a tank coating kit in the gas tank too. I still wanted to mow with it, so I swapped on my spair Jacobsen engine which is a bit newer, from the 1950's.

I replaced drive belt along with having the reel and bedknife sharpened. I also bought and installed a new throttle cable as the original was not quite long enough to reach this different style carburetor and greased the axle that the rollers ride on and oiled everything up. After all that, she mow's like a champ! I sure love mowing and excersising it, there's nothing like it that I've ever mowed with before.

My plan is to one day have it (sandblasted?) then powder coated, but until then I'm going to just enjoy her as she is and exercise it on occasion every now and then. Here are some pictures and a video that I took of it and thought you guys might like to see it and hear it run.

When I took the video, I didn't realize before hand how much the bright sunlight was going to effect the quality, so it's pretty bad. I'm going to take another one later on when it's not so bright out so it will be better quality and you can see more of the mower. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFtbBQXaZGE

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
That sure is one neat old mower alright, great pics and nice job on the video too :thanku: for sharing !.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Very nice, great pics too! Gotta love that little jacobsen 2 stroke!

·
Registered
682 Posts
That is cool!!!.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I gotta :ditto: all the previous posts. Couldn't help but notice your cool looking yard too. Love the picket fence! The cool factor definitely goes with using that beauty to trim the lawn. Thanks for the share, sure looks good and good luck on your plans with it. She's lucky to be in your hands!

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Great looking old mower. I use to use a reel mower less the motor in my high school years. Worked up a lot of sweat with them.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,766 Posts
Great old machine!

Yeah bright sunlight can really screw with digital camera pics in the reds.

·
Janitor at Large
5,616 Posts
Very cool.......It is similar to the old Suffolk (British) mower that my dad had in his shed...in mine now. I haven't done anything with it, might some day....but it does run.

You should join my National Mower group....we deal with all types of reel mowers there.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Very cool. That 2-stroke sounds good!

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Thats cool... I like old equipment, hard to believe that has been around for 60 years. Looks pretty good!

·
Premium Member
7,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, glad you liked to see her! I sure enjoy using it. I'd like to find one day a Lawn King which is a bit bigger than this mower to go along with it.

looks like a little beast to handle though.
It definitely can be, it's a pretty heavy machine. I try and mainly just mow in a straight line with it rather than doing the edges where you're having to maneuver it around a lot. Once you learn a couple of the "tricks" to using it, it's a pretty rewarding machine to use.:fing32:

Couldn't help but notice your cool looking yard too. Love the picket fence! The cool factor definitely goes with using that beauty to trim the lawn. Thanks for the share, sure looks good and good luck on your plans with it. She's lucky to be in your hands!
Today 01:14 AM
Well the fence isn't in the greatest shape, but thanks to both!

You should join my National Mower group....we deal with all types of reel mowers there.
I sure will, I'll get a Yahoo account set up.:fing32: Thanks for the invite!

Thanks again guys, glad you guys got to see it. I'll post up a better video in the near future when it's not so bright out.:fing32:

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,839 Posts
Cool mower. The video was good too .

·
Registered
364 Posts
I saw this topic just after picking up a couple of jacobson. I hope to possibly get one working mower out of them.

I sent a pm to the origingal poster also.

Mine is a manor 21. The engine looks the same but the handle and the bottom are different. Mine has casters in the front and the wheels are mounted inboard, under the engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts