My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picture Intesive!! Old Rusty's turn to become old "non" rusty rebuild thread

Well, I have begun the long and expensive haul. Hoping it will be worth it. Lets start with the basics first. She is a 1974 John Deere 112 Electric Lift. Serial Number is 250333M Type Number is T0011. She had been sitting in the bush for at least a year when I got it. it came with the weights and chains. Along with a mess of wires that had been tapped and fixed many times over its past 20+ years. Wouldn't start. With some tinkering found out the coil had been disconnected. She fired up right after I did a quick fix in the wires. I have a good friend that is also into collecting the lawn and garden John Deeres. He has quite a few, a 110 Hydro, 112 Electric, and many more. I have recommend this site to him but he has limited computer knowledge. The P/O of this tractor i have to thank, As he gave it to me for free. I do have a few questions though, As I have been tearing into a frame and trans-axle that I got from a friend instead of gutting mine until its needed i have noticed that alot of the parts are NLA, So where else can i get them new? Is this frame worth sanding and painting? Is it Beyond repair? Whats the best way of sanding it? Wire Wheel? Grinder? The frame that's on my 112 at the moment is in worse shape then this one. Now onto the pics. Feel free for any recommendations on what i can do/where to get parts without needed a credit card.

New fender Deck

Maybe new pedestal

New Frame

Nice hub :p

Trans-axle

Parts that need replacement?

Wierd scratch?

Chip?

Normal?

My workshop with my sears in it, had the John Deere in as well to remove the homemade weights off the rear.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Re: Picture Intesive!! Old Rusty's turn to become old "non" rusty rebuild thread

Very nice.

·
Premium Member
5,948 Posts
Re: Picture Intesive!! Old Rusty's turn to become old "non" rusty rebuild thread

It looks like you just need to repair/replace the cross member on the frame. The rest of it should cleanup. Find some metal and fab up a new one. Do you have a welder or know someone who does?

Attachments

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,102 Posts

Wow, you've really torn into your project. Good luck. Keep us tuned in to your progress.

·
Registered
403 Posts

Wow! Where was that thing? Sitting in the lagoon? Looks like you have a good project ahead of you. Looks like there were some traumatic issues going on in the trans axle. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
33,745 Posts

You might try Keeping it Green a site sponsor for the parts you need. Also, go on eBay and look around on there. They may not all be new but most transaxle parts I've seen are in good shape.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts

That's a lot of RUST !!

·
Registered
869 Posts

Ouch! Those are some angry looking gears there.
I'm not telling you to buy something here -
http://www.eastwood.com/
but they can give you some great ideas for what you might need and the possibilities.
Thanks for all the images-
Good luck and keep posting them pix.

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts

Is this frame worth sanding and painting? Is it Beyond repair? Whats the best way of sanding it? Wire Wheel? Grinder? The frame that's on my 112 at the moment is in worse shape then this one. Now onto the pics. Feel free for any recommendations on what i can do/where to get parts without needed a credit card.
Hey ShelbyGT550,

Just wanted to comment that I admire anyone who takes on a challenge like you have. Perhaps most would have done a cursory inspection and passed it up to look for something much easier (present MTF company excluded of course!).

IMO, yes, start with the wire wheel (and eye, glove protection). Let all the ugly reveal itself and better to determine how to proceed. IF you own or have access to a sand blaster...even better. If not, or no source of compressed air, it's all about hands on sanding, cleaning and fabricating those impossible to find and elusive parts.

It's important not to get discouraged.

Looking forward to your progress! :thThumbsU ...and thanks for sharing the project!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts

My GOD! that poor tractor has been used.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Ok guys, Update time. Finally got around to looking at the engine. I "think" i found the source of the oil leak in the front, It might be the valve cover that was leaking, Not sure yet though. Take a look at the pictures. Should I completely tear down the engine? Or just clean it up, replace all the gaskets and put it back together?

So? :)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Sorry for the late reply, 112 has been standstill for a few months due to some issues on my main machine, and another project. I am learning things along the way and figured the one that i would be less worried about imperfections would be my murray. I want this one to be perfect like show room :)

·
Premium Member
9,670 Posts

Wow, Looks like a Big project going on there, Glad to see that "K" dosn't have the balance gears, and man, looks like a complete re-wire on this one.
I had a lot of rust too on BMP, went through several wire brushes.

Tagged the thread to follow, Hope the best.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks larry, You have been a great help so far on my craftsman :). What is it about the balance gears that people do not like?

·
Premium Member
9,670 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Here are pics of the piston and some other parts. Opinions? Might also post in the small engine forum.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts

ouch.... that tranny got some hours on it....

·
Premium Member
9,670 Posts

Maybe others can comment... I would re-ring and hone. The scuffing on the piston side looks like mine, not an issue "I think".

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts