My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apparently those white washers wear out on the self-propelled drive. They are little clutches and when they get too thin, the drive won't engage. I bought brand new ones from the dealer and she runs like a dream. The engine (Briggs and Stratton) is as quiet and smooth as a Honda. I hate to say it, but this might be my favorite mower.

I cleaned it all up and buffed it till she shines. Here's a tip: use WD40 on all the plastic. I buy it by the gallon.

I still need a mulch plug, but even without it, I can tell it mulches great.

Here's how it looked when I got it.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Incredible! Congratulations on such a beautiful mower.

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,140 Posts
Sweet...man I thought you repainted it and bought new decals. It looks new! I remember those at the dealer and I always wondered how they performed. I think I remember the dealer down here asking like $700.00 for those.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Wouldnt WD-40 on plastic cause dust and dirt to stick to it?
WD-40 got some harsh stuff ( petroleum based product ) in it.. and most likely will create a white haze on the plastic...

Use a good vinyl dressing.. even some of those have some bad stuff in it...

It like: You don't use Laundry Detergent to wash your hair...

Just my two cents, from doing Auto Re-con for 10 years...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sweet...man I thought you repainted it and bought new decals. It looks new! I remember those at the dealer and I always wondered how they performed. I think I remember the dealer down here asking like $700.00 for those.

+1

Looks great!!:fing32:

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the receipt from the previous owner who bought it new in 1999. I use WD40 on mowers right before I sell them. I don't use anything on my personal mowers for the plastic. One coat of WD40 makes them look like new and shouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have the receipt from the previous owner who bought it new in 1999. I use WD40 on mowers right before I sell them. I don't use anything on my personal mowers for the plastic. One coat of WD40 makes them look like new and shouldn't hurt anything.
Ooops!! I left out: That Mower looks great!!! Looks Brand NEW!!!

Use what you want, I was just giving my opinion.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Paul, I'm glad you did give me the advice about WD40 being harmful. I've actually been looking for a replacement for it to use for rust prevention and plastic renovation. The thought popped in my head that Thompsons Silicone Sealant might work, but I'm not sure if it would do more damage than good.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Ive got the exact same mower, I cant sell it because i do like it alot. Ive got the mulch plug on mine, just need the bag setup. I want to add proline steel wheels to the front..

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New wheels are something I need to think about. They spin WAY too much. I mowed with it tonight, without a mulch plug, and it did a great job. I think I will keep it.

I found a mulch plate on eBay that should work. This mower is not light by any means....the deck is around 1/4" thick. You just have to let it do its thing and steer it in the right direction. I wish the old pre-compliance Lawn-Boys had a really good self-propelled drive like this.

My ultimate mower would be a 1980's, vader shrowd Lawn-Boy, with a 3 speed, belt-drive with rubber wheels.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Nice looking machine....now I feel I need to dig the one exactly like that one out of the mower pile at my friends mower shop....it is headed to salvage unless I interviene. The PO ran it out of oil.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Nice looking machine!

For the show and shine and general lubricant you can try Fluid Film. It's a little hard to find though, sold through John Deere dealers usually but I've seen it somewhere else (and can't recall where) of course also available online. Great product, is a little "tacky" unlike WD-40 that's just like water. I use it for shining up plastics as well as whatever else. Of course has the same side effect of any of the others, attracts dirt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts