My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of got roped into this one. I'm unsure about how much to charge for delivery. I was thinking about a fixed per mile fee of probably $1 per loaded mile. Is that fair or too high? Do you guys charge per mile or just a standard flat fee? I really wasn't looking to get into delivering yet. I thought this one was a neighbor of a friend since he dropped it off but its actually a customer of his business and I hate to impose. Oh and if you feel this should be in the off topic forum please move it :fing32:

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Hi k91, we done it a few times. We do it as a hobby though. We charged around $20 for up to 15 miles. The one we delivered 50 + miles away for guy we got $100 he offered on top of the $500 we charged for it! A older Murray we did, nicest one we did not Green! ;)
Use how much gas you would have to refill as a guide also! Wear and tear on truck too. Good luck my friend!

·
Registered
151 Posts
As a handyman I would charge for travel, and it was usually a nice round number that was close to what I had to spend for gas. I didn't think it was right to charge for the time it took, but the fuel cost was something I wanted to recover.

·
Ben's Lawn Mower Repair
431 Posts
I say fuel cost x 3 or 4 would be fair.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Don't forget that the return trip should be included in the calculation also. If you volunteer for local deliveries, such as Meals on Wheels, they reimburse at the 'Federal' rate of 50 cents a mile. That reimbursement covers gas, tires, depreciation, etc etc etc. My wife takes the $'s and puts it in an account for the Grandson, FWIW.
If I were to sell a GT, any delivery would be above and beyond the sale price, unless negotiated before hand. I wouldn't get into odometer readings, but would work out a reasonable fee that covered my costs, and a bit for my time.
tom

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input guys :fing32: It seems like my $1 per mile estimate isn't totally outrageous just on the high end. Which is fine with me since I'm not actively seeking pickup customers that are all over the place.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
I set a limit of 15 miles, of you are beyond that..i apologize, but I jsut cant get it.

Figure...20 miles, that 20, 20, 20, 20...80 miles total, at 15mpg, its going to use about 5.5 gallons of fuel @ 3.40/g so about 19 dollars in fuel...to pickup and deliver. lets call it 20 in fuel..

To cover wear and tear, figure $5...so, 25 bucks is break even. Ive got to charge 50 bucks to make it worth my time...

At 15 miles out, its about 40 bucks, 10 miles, 35, and 35 would be my minimum to hook up the trailer, its not worth the hassel for less than 35.

If its a large, high yield job...such as an engine rebuild, or the customer says the magic words "i dont care what it costs, I want you to come get it"....then I charge appropriately if its beyond 15 miles. Ive charged up to 75 for p&D...it was about 25 miles 1 way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts