My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the place to ask...

Does anyone know how to pickle eggs? I'm sick of paying 4.99 plus tax for 6 eggs...

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
I've pickled 'em before.

What I do is...

Buy a jar of dill pickles.
Eat the pickles (save the juice).
Add your peeled, hard-boiled eggs to the jar of pickle juice... with the juice from a can of beets.
Wait a couple of weeks (or so)... then try an egg. If the yolk is starting to get a pinkish tinge (from the beet juice) then they're just about ready. If not... give 'em a couple more weeks.

That being said... You could probably do the same with homemade pickles (rather than buying pickles)... and probably even use fresh brine (although I think that the leftover pickle flavor really adds something to them).

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
My dad made his own brine with vinegar, salt, water, fresh wild dill, and about any other herb that happened to sound good to him at the time. He might get a wild hair and throw in some sliced fresh jalepenos, banana peppers, scallions, whatever.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dad made his own brine with vinegar, salt, water, fresh wild dill, and about any other herb that happened to sound good to him at the time. He might get a wild hair and throw in some sliced fresh jalepenos, banana peppers, scallions, whatever.
:fing32: i love hot food.. thanks for that great idea..

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
This is a real German style pickled egg recipe you will enjoy.

2 Cups cider vinegar
1 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup water
2 Tbsp yellow mustard (I use plochman's)
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp celery seed
1 Tbsp mustard seed
6 whole cloves
1 large white onion, sliced
12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled

In a sauce pan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 min. Cool completely. Place onion and eggs in large jar; add enough vinegar mixture to completely cover. Put on the lid and refrigerate for at least eight hours before indulging...keep refrigerated. Will keep for a week or two.

Neal

·
Registered
134 Posts
My favorite is to use equal amounts of vinegar, sugar, and red beat juice. You'll want about 3 cups each.
It's best to cook down your own beats for the juice but, canned beats can be used. Just heat the juice and dissolve the sugar in the warm juice, add the vinegar and the put this in a large glass jar. Add your hard boiled eggs and let them sit in the refrigerator for about a week. Everyone that has had my eggs always asks for the recipe.
We have some Bantam's, and these smaller eggs work great for this.

·
Administrator
21,536 Posts
MMM-mmm, sounds good. Have any of you guys been known to knock down a ***** Modelo while consuming 3 or 4 of these, dipping them in Louisiana Hot Sauce???

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Your bar is cheaper than my bar. (at least on the food end) Buck apiece here.
Back when things were cheaper one of the local taverns had a gallon jar of pickled eggs setting out. Pair of tongs to grab what you wanted. Sign on it said "$.25 each or 3 for $1.00". Bartender figured anyone that bought a bucks worth had had enough to drink.

We do the boiled eggs soaked in the leftover pickle juice trick from time to time. SWMBO makes several different kinds of pickles. I don't care for the eggs that are soaked in the sweet pickle juice but the ones from the dill jars are great.

Mike

·
Registered
485 Posts
One of my favorite things is this.........

Save the juice and stuff from a big jar of pickled herring.
Add boiled eggs and let sit in the fridge for a week or so.

After eating 3-4 eggs and some herring, you can play the "pull my finger"
game with the grand kids............

:thThumbsU

Enjoy
Wyo

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
One of my favorite things is this.........

Save the juice and stuff from a big jar of pickled herring.
Add boiled eggs and let sit in the fridge for a week or so.

After eating 3-4 eggs and some herring, you can play the "pull my finger"
game with the grand kids............

:thThumbsU

Enjoy
Wyo
That would best used in a elevator. :trink40:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts