My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
While I'm still waiting for my filters, ignition parts and to borrow a power washer, I decided to try some painting. All primed on the top, tonight the under side. Wet sanding is next. Removing the foot grip tape adhesive reidue was awful, grit tape came up easy with a heat gun though.

About the JD green colors, prior to 89 i should use the "classic green," correct? Or should I update to the "Pthalo green" for post 89 Deeres? This is not a show tractor, it will be my daily driver.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have the central gearbox mount from a 400 if you need to buy one. They are not that easy to find and after I bought this one on eBay, I figured I did not need it after all because of the different PTO set up on my tractor. I paid $74 for it including shipping which I will sell it to you for if you need it. It mounts over the middle of the pulley area and holds the gearbox above the pulleys.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
I have the central gearbox mount from a 400 if you need to buy one. They are not that easy to find and after I bought this one on eBay, I figured I did not need it after all because of the different PTO set up on my tractor. I paid $74 for it including shipping which I will sell it to you for if you need it. It mounts over the middle of the pulley area and holds the gearbox above the pulleys.
Thanks for the offer, i still have the mount from the old 60" deck.

What color green did you use on your 420? It looks fantastic. Classic or new Pthalo green? Should i stick with period correct or new lighter green post 1989? Im leaning toward new green.

·
Super Moderator
8,181 Posts
I THINK classic green is technically correct. It wasn't until long ago that this came out. It was believed that classic was only used on the 2cyl tractors and its use stopped before the first garden tractor was introduced, therefore making everything the new green. A couple years ago it surfaced that the change wasn't until, like you say, 89. The only question I have yet to find any answer too is if there are only 2 shades. Meaning were the 2cyl painted one green, then everything from then through 89 a different green, then post 89 a different green yet. My feeling is there are only two shades, and classic would be correct. I can't say for certain though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks! Well my local Deere dealer had a sale on Quarts of the newer Ag & Turf green that were damaged, $12.50 for a dented can. Hard to pass that up. Like DrGibby said, the new shade seems to "pop" more. So I guess i need to find some Hardener and get a HVLP gun, most likely a China Freight gun. I guess I'm going to learn a new skill. I do have some experience with my big airless Graco style sprayer on fences and my kid's playset, hopefully that will help.

Does anyone know the recommended mixing ratios of JD paint, reducer, hardener?

·
Super Moderator
8,181 Posts
My 140 is the new green, making it the wrong color. I didn't know that at the time though.

Completely different technique with this paint than your fence paint. It'll take some practice.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Nick, It still looks amazing! I hope mine can look at least 1/2 as good as that. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I ordered a SEW 23 HP Vangaurd for the 400 yesterday. I need something easier/cheaper to repair and a warranty since this will be my daily Deere. What size battery is recommended for these Vanguards? The regular size lawn/garden tractor battery? I doubt it will require the huge group 26r for the K532.

·
Parts collector
2,777 Posts
My 140 is the new green, making it the wrong color. I didn't know that at the time though.

Completely different technique with this paint than your fence paint. It'll take some practice.

awesome!

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,156 Posts
While I'm still waiting for my filters, ignition parts and to borrow a power washer, I decided to try some painting. All primed on the top, tonight the under side. Wet sanding is next. Removing the foot grip tape adhesive reidue was awful, grit tape came up easy with a heat gun though.
I did my '83 318 in new green. Only ever used classic on 2 cyl tractors. It will look good either way.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I did my '83 318 in new green. Only ever used classic on 2 cyl tractors. It will look good either way.
Thanks. Your 318 is perfect!
I will try and incorporate some of your ideas into my fender, perhaps a toolbox.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
The SEW Vanguard is now home. A small hole in the box and 2 loose nuts at the bottom of the box was noticed. Hopefully SEW has upped their game.

·
Super Moderator
8,181 Posts
Cool! I think that will be a good fit for the 400. Anxious to see more! Also, thanks for the compliments guys.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
The weather this whole month has been wet, so painting is on standby. The Kohler will be out tonight and then I can clean up the frame around there and paint it all black. Looks like my Hydro cooler has seen better days, the top plate is separating from the fins and I don't want it to fall on to the driveshaft, since the top plate is supported the tower panels, battery tray and heat shield. I might fab up a small bracket to sandwich it back together. Has anyone used a 420 hydro cooler on a 400? They are pretty cheap...

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The 420 oil cooler is the same as the 318 oil cooler but I do not see how you are going to fit it in the 400. I have the Honda in my 400 and there is no place in the air flow that I could put the 420/318 cooler. The funky little 400 cooler is compact for a reason, there is no room anywhere else. Have you tried to find another 400 cooler? I just bought a bunch of 400 stuff on eBay and that seems to be the only place. You might look at transmission coolers because they are usually small and multilayered like the coolers in the 400. Good luck!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
The 420 oil cooler is the same as the 318 oil cooler but I do not see how you are going to fit it in the 400. I have the Honda in my 400 and there is no place in the air flow that I could put the 420/318 cooler. The funky little 400 cooler is compact for a reason, there is no room anywhere else. Have you tried to find another 400 cooler? I just bought a bunch of 400 stuff on eBay and that seems to be the only place. You might look at transmission coolers because they are usually small and multilayered like the coolers in the 400. Good luck!
Thanks Rudy, There probably is not enough room flanking both sides of the driveshaft for a 420/318 cooler. 400 coolers on ebay are ridiculously priced. Im 90% sure a little aluminum bracket will work fine, like in this photo I found this on WFM:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
With some shade tree mechanical work (without engine crane) last night, the engine is out. I will post pics of my method if anyone wants, but it is not for educational purposes... I was fighting with the hidden starter wire and pto pulleys to clear the frame. This engine must weigh well over 200 lbs. The vanguard is half that and i can lift by myself.

Driveshaft is off the pump with a blip of the air chisel. However the driveshaft is pretty bad, time for a new one or rebuild. A custom driveshaft with grease zerks sells for $275 in ebay. I will visit a local driveshaft shop today and chat with them. They are rebuildable, one just needs a large hydraulic press which I don't have room for at the moment. I got the roll pin out on the flywheel adapter but how does one remove the adapter? PB blaster and hammer?

41 - 60 of 201 Posts