My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ROJ
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't pass it up,got it very cheap in a trade. The tractor only has 340 hours and I have the original bill of sale and manuals for it. I had the wrong idea about these tractors. The 3000 series and especially the 3200 and up are fairly serious GT's. The big drawback is,like Deer,the attachments are high dollar. $750 snow plows,$750 three points,etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have a 2004 3240, that I have had for 7 yrs or so...I am very impressed with it, with normal maintenance and some common sense usage, it performs completely to my expectations, it is a sturdy, robust tractor, I have the 54 inch deck, and my yard has many chestnut trees, the deck chops up the nuts and spits 'em out, doing so the deck self-cleans the grass clippings out, the blades and spindles handles the nuts well, I put new blades on every other year, and have replaced 1 spindle brg..I wouldn't have any other model

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I had a 3206...great machine.

The deck looks like it's been through ****. Looking at the bumper and the steering wheel it appears that the tractor's bodywork has been resprayed. if that's the case it looks good.

Looking at the surface corrosion makes me think the tractor and MMM could use a good greasing. Hit all of the zerks and make sure you get the carrier bearing under the tractor. If that freezes it's a royal pain to remove.

·
Registered
651 Posts
They are not for everyone, but judging by your garage I'd say you are comfortable doing the necessary maintenance. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Congratulations, looks like you scored a nice machine. As others have said, you have a very robust and capable tractor. Like most machines there are a couple of things that MTD maybe should have done differently, but in my view no real deal breakers. And there is a lot of knowledge and experience here with MANY 3000 series owners on MTF – if it pertains to a 3000, someone here has most likely experienced it or fixed it. In addition to performing the usual lubrication and maintenance items, I would suggest doing a few other things that I have found in getting to know my GT3235.

First pull the fender/floor pan assembly off and give the hydro/transaxle and surrounding area a good cleaning. There is a sheet metal plate under the hydro that is hooked to the hydro bypass rod, clean out the area between it and the hydro. Check your lift valve for leakage and if it is leaking changing the o rings is not a big deal. Some guys here do so as part of scheduled maintenance. Give all the linkage bushings a good inspection, replace any worn out bushings (lots of the white – nylon I think - ones in use) and lubricate them as well as the other metal bushings. Lube the steering shaft also, where it passes through the toothed adjuster rack for the column-angle adjustment. This spot is easy to forget and it’s metal on metal. While you are hitting the axle lube point that Gary wisely mentioned above, take time to adjust the bolt that pulls the plates together on the front and back side of the axle. It takes out the fore and aft twist; on mine I could actually see the axle moving before I tightened it up. Support the front end at the frame and tighten just enough for the axle to pivot with light pressure. Finally check out the bolt that secures the arm between the hydraulic cylinder and the top of the steering knuckle. Do NOT just try to tighten it up. It is not the greatest design, as the bolt is prone to loosening up and the knuckle/arm interface is tapered like a pyramid, an open invitation to dirt and grease packing in between the two parts. Once it does, you will never properly tighten it. Take it off and clean it well before re-assembly with Loctite. I also installed a 1/4” longer bolt, hopefully it will help keep it tighter.

You are right about attachments being pricy and are all NLA. Front blades are plentiful and can be had for about $300 alone, or $500 or so in combination with the front hitch. The 3-point hitches appear for sale fairly regularly, but are usually $600 or more. Front blowers are plentiful (front hitch needed here too), but the tillers are getting rare (I recently talked with a dealer about a NOS unit he has in stock and wants $1400 for; I am trying to work him down) and usually pricy, the last one I saw on eBay went for $1450.

Hopefully this will be a great tractor for you. Let us know how you are doing after you spend some more time with it. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Im not sure if you know what you have scored,,,but it is a good one!!
I restored a 60" deck on mine,,that looked similar to yours. It was kinda expensive but well worth it.

The attachments are out there ,and can be bought cheaper than what you listed ,,if you are always looking.
It took me a few years to get all of mine. I was patient.

·
ROJ
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys for the reply's and good info. Gary the deck is actually in good condition,it just has the normal paint flaking off issue and I do have the deck covers. It has never been repainted,it's all original. The owners did have a pup in their garage that chewed up the steering wheel and foot pedals. I normally stick to the old stuff and lot's of it. ( I have been around here a long time,just not here a whole lot anymore,if you search my user name you will see that I drag in a lot of antique / vintage /abused / rusty / toys / stuff mostly). I have to say I am impressed with this tractor,I would have never believed it was this stout until getting it home,checking it out and researching the Series 3000 machines. MTD has always built some good GT's going back to the 760,860,960,990 models,I just didn't know that they had up until this recently. pfreiburger,I agree even the older MTD GT's had their issues (MTD gets more grief about it but don't ever brand) but they were still good tractors. I am pretty happy with this low hour original tractor. The tractor does have a few issues but I think it's well worth fixing.

·
16,276 Posts
"Very cheap" is great--free even better, but you got a nice stout platform there--and you got some good maintenence advice

Salute!!

glenn

·
ROJ
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow Glen,it's good to see us both still around here after several years ! You know I am amongst the kings of cheap or free or it just ain't for me.

·
16,276 Posts
Where am I going? Just an older gear-head guy who enjoys being on here with a like bunch of folks.....

Know what really makes me feel 'down the road"?? Sitting here, early this morning, in a quiet house (bride still ZZZZZ) and figuring out some retirement stuff I have been working on--and my S/S statement was open on the floor--I have been paying into it since 1966, when I worked in a hamburger stand.
WOW--48 years--I will never ,ever live long enough to get any where near that back.

BTW--in 1966, I worked there (15 cent burger stand) about five months ,during the summer and made $402.:hide:

glenn

·
ROJ
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You got me by a few years Glenn,I started in 77 working at the county fairgrounds in the summer. I was 12 then,I will be 49 in a few weeks and that is still one of my favorite jobs that I have had. Not to turn this into a political thread but at the rate things are going you are going to do good to get some of it back. Whatever happened to your GT14 project ?

·
1025R FILB Owner
299 Posts
It's good to see someone who has been stuck on old machines get a 3k series and realize what **** good machines they are. MTD did change things once they took over, no argument there at all... but until they build something again like the 3ks, they will be the last of the "GT's". I'm going to avoid the whole "what is a GT" conversation as you all understand.

Enjoy your 3k and good score!

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's good to see someone who has been stuck on old machines get a 3k series and realize what **** good machines they are. MTD did change things once they took over, no argument there at all... but until they build something again like the 3ks, they will be the last of the "GT's". I'm going to avoid the whole "what is a GT" conversation as you all understand.

Enjoy your 3k and good score!
I couldn't agree more. I've always been a huge fan of the IH 82 series, but these 3K series are good machines too. I love mowing with them and have always hated mowing with my favorite 782.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts