My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I found a GX 335 today and went to see it and bought it. Of course, it needs a new seat and some polishing and the deck has a few blisters of the powder coating which I will fix. 400 hours and a 48-inch deck. Diff lock, PS and turn signal hydro lever and an air-cooled engine. JD hasn't done better since. $2000 and it's a one-owner with manual. These are some of the best tractors for their cost that you can buy for mowing. They were truly the Cadillacs of their time and will match or beat anything on the market in their class. I have sold every one of these that I have ever owned for $3500. Looking forward to Spring with my six beauties waiting for new owners.

Premium Member
Have fun with the gx335. The gx335 was my first JD tractor.

Registered
Pictures or didn鈥檛 happen

Registered
Lowes and Homo Depot sells comps...lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Ok here are the pics you pic hounds demand! It looks a lot better after a pressure wash. Besides the seat the only thing that needs repair is the front "Bumper". I think I can weld it with my handy Harbor Freight plastic welding kit. The seat is already on order and I will add a 5/8 inch bar to the trim side of the deck where the lip is worn down.
DSCN3741.JPG

Attachments

Registered
I鈥檓 not seeing the bumper damage...

Some wax would really make that shine again. Probably wouldn鈥檛 take much more than some Goof Off to clean the exhaust staining up.

Registered
Rudy, can you expand on why you love them so much? I don鈥檛 see them for sale often, and they are usually more than a 425. Obviously they are younger, but what makes them great?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It is a combination of things that make it and its sister the GX345 great mowers. They have welded frames and the engine tray is part of the tractor which makes it stiffer. They have power steering and a differential lock. They have the turn signal type stalk for the deck lift and they have adjustable steering. They come with a very stout Tuf Torq K71 tranny and when you stop to consider them, they have almost all the accessories that you could reasonably put on a small tractor. They weigh about 650 lbs which is a good weight for mowers and they have 24-inch rear tires for a better ride. The FD611 V liquid engine in the GX345 is rock solid and the GX 335 has the FH602 V air-cooled engine in it both are 20 hp. You have to go to the X530 and X540 to get the same accessories with just a little more power and weight. They are a gentleman's mower with power and comfort like the bigger tractors. I find them a joy to mow with and anything larger for many of us would be overkill. The GX345 had the diff lock in '04 and '05 only. I prefer the 335 over the 345 simply because it is simpler and I do not need the extra cooling of the GX345 engine. I have changed two water pumps and it is not fun. I have never had a problem with the air-cooled engine.

Super Moderator
Ok here are the pics you pic hounds demand! It looks a lot better after a pressure wash. Besides the seat the only thing that needs repair is the front "Bumper". I think I can weld it with my handy Harbor Freight plastic welding kit. The seat is already on order and I will add a 5/8 inch bar to the trim side of the deck where the lip is worn down. View attachment 2445156
I Bought a 2004 GX335 with diif/lock In 2016 for $2,000 On eBay all I have done is replace the Drive Belt this past Fall and Upgraded to Led Headlights and add 23x10.50-12 Kenda Terra Trac On the Rear Dropped the 24X12 Turfs. There a decent Mid Level Garden tractor No were near as Nice as My X748. But I like it. I run a 42inch deck on the 04 GX335. and it does do snow removal On My side walks and Back yard Paths for the Dogs with 50lb wheel weights and 4 suitcase weights the Darn thing is nearly unstoppable in the snow. Haven't even used the diff/lock pedal on it yet

The X500 series with Hydraulic Lift You do get a Hydraulically lifted Integral Hitch. To me the Only thing That was Nicer about the 325 thru GX355 was the Hydraulic lift lever Other Than That the X500 series In Many ways was a true upgrade especially with Front Mounted attachments. Mid Mount Mowing decks I also find to be Better On the Older GX300 series It was easier to release the Mowing deck drive belt off the Mid PTO. That is one Place on the X500 series where Deere went backwards with the X500 series on Mounting the deck. I also don't like the new way Front Mounted attachment connect on the Current X500 series They went forward with the X500 thru 1st Model Year of the X590 and then Backwards with the X570 thru 2nd year of the X590 having to use the Middle Rocket shaft. The front rocker shaft design was better On the X500 thru 1st Model Year of the X590 as it was similar to the GX300 series design with exception Nothing went to the middle of the Tractor Like the 48inch Front Blade & 42inch single stage did on the GX300 series. I also Prefer the air cooled Models In the Belt driven Garden tractor's 1 less thing to worry about especially since I know the history On the LC Kawasaki on the 345 & the X540 when it first Came out there were issues. (y)

Registered
The diff lock was available on the 2004/05 models of GX345, not prior.
(relaying info from another discussion thread)

I looked for some time to find one that had it. Mine's a 2005

Michael
Which plastic welder do you have? I am constantly taking in machines that have broken & cracked plastic hoods and would like to be able to repair them. Which one do you have & how well does it work?

Ok here are the pics you pic hounds demand! It looks a lot better after a pressure wash. Besides the seat the only thing that needs repair is the front "Bumper". I think I can weld it with my handy Harbor Freight plastic welding kit. The seat is already on order and I will add a 5/8 inch bar to the trim side of the deck where the lip is worn down. View attachment 2445156

Proud JD Owner
That baby's CLEAN!! Nice score!! I got my daughter an 2004 GX345 for her place, and I agree with everything you said about them. A very solid machine with all the comforts installed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts