My Tractor Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a hard time figuring out the size of your hole but have you considered a glued on patch inside AND a tube?

I am running a tube in one of my '05 Passat tire since I hit a pothole last year and the tire was torn on about 10mm on the side wall. Given my tires are Nokians and they are too worn to install a new one but not worn enough to scrap them I chose to go with the tube. ~20 000 km so far and I am not the slowest driver around. No problem. I know the load is not the same on a tractor (probably higher traction load but way less speed/impacts) but personally I would have tried saving the tire.

Completely jealous of your tractor BTW. I dream of buying a 6522 someday, that is definitely my dream tractor!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I have a hard time figuring out the size of your hole but have you considered a glued on patch inside AND a tube?

I am running a tube in one of my '05 Passat tire since I hit a pothole last year and the tire was torn on about 10mm on the side wall. Given my tires are Nokians and they are too worn to install a new one but not worn enough to scrap them I chose to go with the tube. ~20 000 km so far and I am not the slowest driver around. No problem. I know the load is not the same on a tractor (probably higher traction load but way less speed/impacts) but personally I would have tried saving the tire.

Completely jealous of your tractor BTW. I dream of buying a 6522 someday, that is definitely my dream tractor!
I did not really consider the tube route. I just ordered a new tire from boats.net.

Eventually, I will probably replace the rest of the tires as I plan to keep this tractor and they have some cracking going on. Nothing to worry about right now but I've already just accepted the fact that by 20 years or so they will probably need replacing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, the OEM ones of my 1977 Massey Ferguson 1655 are still on the tractor! Appart from the not properly fixed punctures and the fact the front ones are nearly all thread less, they still do the job! I must admit at one point it's better to simply replace them with new ones.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
New tire is supposed to be here tomorrow. Just in time. We are seeing some serious crappy blizzard-like weather for the next couple days. Not the best time for my tractor to be down... The snow just leaps off the ground onto the road right in front of my house. It's pretty crazy. I'm sure others have something similar.

This was in front of my garage door the other day. Absolutely zero snowfall but some wind. I shoveled the top off it and it was still more than my wife could get through in her car. So I blew it with the Honda with a flat tire. Lol. Tonight when I got home I would've been on the Honda in a second if it had a good tire. Tire and wheel are pulled. Delivery of the new tire is changed to a place I think it will get to with the weather we are seeing. Pickup the new tire tomorrow, take the new tire and old tire/wheel combo to the local place on the way home and then blow some drifts tomorrow night. :tango_face_grin:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Got the tire and blew some snow! While the tire was down I had to bust through the snow with my one ton diesel truck so my wife could get her car through. I went through it about ten times to bust it up and pack it down somewhat. So when I finally got the tire and blew the snow it was packed REALLY hard. AND it was -11° F actual when I was blowing with serious winds so that packed the snow even more. I don't remember having to stop forward movement in Low 1st before to let it catch-up--that's how hard the snow was packed.

My wife took a bunch of videos when I was blowing the other day. I had a snowmobile helmet on (you can see why in the second video). There's some more on my youtube channel if you are so inclined.

Not sure how to post videos on this forum without having click on the I agree link. If anyone has any help I will edit the post so you don't have to do this. I've posted videos on several different forums and never see this notice. The videos I have posted are safe and uploaded to youtube.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts