My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Outlaw Tractor Collector
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, long time since I have posted on MTF. I recently picked up this nice Speedex 1631 garden tractor. It has a Briggs 18 HP Twin II with full pressure lube. It runs like brand new and drives pretty good. I don't really plan on working her too hard, mainly just taking her to shows and maybe using her around the yard.

It came with a set of duals and a canopy when I got it but I have since decided to remove them. I'm a bit too tall to fit under the canopy and the duals are not needed for what I use it for. Also, I'm worried about the added stress on the hubs and axle with the duals so I'd rather not have them on. I also had to remove the added on foot steps as they interfered with the clutch pedal too much.

Since getting this tractor I have done some servicing too it. I have changed all the fluids, new belt, new fuel line, all new filters, new battery, and freshly greased it all. I also had to wire up the charging system since it was not already wired in for some reason. She runs like a top and drives real nice though. Heres some photos of her. As I do more to her and get some attachments eventually I will post the here.

83904876_592364778277174_166085358839136256_n.jpg

·
Super Moderator
28,940 Posts
Congrats, I've seen a few around and one of the neighbors sold one just after I got moved here. Not as big as that though and that is in very nice shape!

·
Outlaw Tractor Collector
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed a new drive sprocket and a new chain since the old ones had quite a bit of wear. I don't really need to do much else to her. I think I will add a spring to the pedal though to keep it from chattering while sitting idle, you can hear it in the video. Oh, and here's a couple videos of it.

Speedex 1631 start and idle

Speedex 1631 walk around

·
Citizen of Earth
15,255 Posts
Did you take the sun shade off to clear the top of the garage entrance? My bald head get sun burned all the time, so I would want something like that, but my shed doesn't have the height to add one to any of my machines. I have to make do with a floppy hat. That is one sweet machine! I saw in your other post that you replaced the Snapper with a Deere. And I really like your green yard truck. Definitely a cool ride just for fun.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,269 Posts
That is one beautiful machine, congrats! Speedex got the visuals right on that puppy.

Now, as to that green hauler next to it.......love to hear the story on that with some pics of the mechanical particulars.

·
Outlaw Tractor Collector
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well It would actually clear the garage just fine with the canopy but I myself couldn't clear the canopy while in the seat lol and it makes getting on and off the tractor insanely difficult. These Speedex tractors are already hard enough to get on and off of as it is.

The green truck is a homemade job. From about the front of the hood to the back of the cab is a MTD Cub Cadet lawn tractor frame with extra frame work added on. It has a Kohler Command single cylinder engine and a hydrostatic transaxle which drives chains to the drive axles. The front axle is from some other machine, I'm not sure what. The body is all wood. The biggest issue is that it has no suspension, not even a pivoting front axle. The frame is very twisty though but because of this it is horrible to run on any uneven terrain as things bind up constantly. It is also very slow. The Speedex is honestly faster than the green truck. But, it is neat to look at. We got it about 12 years ago at a mule and buggy auction in Missouri. This is the only other photo I have of it on this computer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts