My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all, I saw an ad on craigslist for a red bolens snow plow. Gentlemen was asking 50. I offered 30 and he countered at 40 and I took him up on it. When I picked it up, I noticed some red wheel weights and he mentioned they were bolens 50lb wheel weights and he stated they were for sale too. I told him I didn't bring much money but asked how much? He said $20 for the pair. Well I had the 20 and took them too. I'll post pictures soon of them, but was wondering if they were really "bolens" wheel weights because I did not see anywhere that stated bolens but there is a part number on the cast iron weights.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
heres a picture for reference

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
What a deal! I thought I had done well when I got my set of weights for $40.

Jason

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
They go for $100 a pair on e-bay all the time ..plus shipping ..I'd say you got a GREAT deal there Tom :fing32:

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
the paint on the wheel weights makes me think that they are in fact bolens

·
Registered
704 Posts
Could I have a "rare" set of wheel weights?:thThumbsU
Measure the weights where they would fit into the rim. They look like they would fit a small frame. They are definitely not tube frame weights, or they would have the large center hole for the diff lock. They appear to be too small for to be TF or LF weights anyway. All bolens weights that I have seen have 'BOLENS' embossed on the outside of them, even the front weights. But that may not mean anything. I have definitely NOT seen it all. I learn things every day from the guys here, and I have been collecting for 17 years.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Ratboy. I'll do that. I also e-mailed the guy I bought the weights off of, asking if his friend who owned them knew what they came off of.

·
5,525 Posts
Never seen a set like that ether, I dont think there bolens.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
After taking a second look, I think my cousins weights have a deeper center for the diff Lock. But the hole does not go all the way through.
I'm thinking these went on the models such as the 853 that did not have the differential lock so there would be no need to have a hole in the center....

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
brian! havent seen you around a lot recently. good to see you still visit every once and again :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
they look like simplicity or allis weights

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't think they're bolens weights. All the bolens I've seen or sold had either bolens or FMC cast in the face.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
They look like the 75 lb JD weights for the 400 series....
I was thinking the same thing, I saw a set of yellow JD weights that looked like that. Either way... $20.00 dollars is a STEAL !!! if you don't use them you can always put them on ebay so that you can grow some bolens cash lol.

Nick

p.s. my bolens weights do not say bolens. I have a newer set from the late 80's early 90's that only have the numbers stamped on them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts