My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got the JD one for Christmas about 8 years ago love it for mowing around objects but it really shines when doing loader work left hand on the knob right hand on the loader cvs right foot controlling direction of tractor. Some don't like how it mounts on the steering wheel mine leans inwards not straight up if that makes any sense but I like how it leans inward.

Doug

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have tried many types from Tractor Supply to eBay from China and they all have their flaws. There is the type that mounts on the spokes of the wheel and there are types that mount on the rim. I prefer the rim type but they are not as secure as the spoke type and depend on friction with the rim to hold it in place. At about $10-$15 each, they are not a big investment and if you get the wrong kind you can probably take it back if you save the package. Once you have used one, with or without PS, it's hard to go back. TS sells one for about $10 that is black and is the spoke type. The rim types are usually more expensive.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The spoke mount leans inward and the rim mount will go any direction you like. On the inward mount type, the knob, and your hand goes in and out as you turn the wheel and is not for everyone. The rim type is like holding the wheel at one spot and turning the wheel with no movement of your wrist. I'm old enough to remember cars from Detroit that had the knobs built into the wheels. They were actually steel posts that were welded to the inner steel of the rim. They were considered the deluxe version on some cars and had the auto's emblem in them. Then they were outlawed by the feds because of a few bad apples that let their hands slip off during a turn or some maneuver and got killed. They were originally designed for nonpower steering autos to help turn the cars.

·
blinged out
1,216 Posts
I have the deere spinner on both machines! the x500 doesn't really need one because the steering ratio is better but when jumping from one machine to the other I like the consistency! I have an 80yr. old retired u.s. veteran that loves running the x540 at the resort,can't get him off the machine since I put the spinner on,I'm not complaining saves me about 6hrs. a week!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I sold my X530 yesterday and the new owner had never seen a steering knob before! He loved it. He asked me what it was for and then I told him to give it a try. He drove the tractor around the yard with a huge grin on his face. Then his wife tried it and she too loved it. And that was with PS! The one thing most do not realize is that your hand never changes position on the wheel. You can go from lock to lock and your hand stays in the exact same position relative to the wheel. Try doing that without one while mowing on a hillside in shrubbery hitting you in the face!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was at TSC a couple of days ago, so I picked up one there for $10. I have not tried it yet, but it was cheap enough and you all have been raving about it I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I have bought that model many times. I convert them to the rim kind with a little work. I flatten out the part that goes onto the spoke and mount it on the rim. It sits up straight and doesn't have the wrist twist as it goes around. Also, I got the X520 carb cleaned out and put it back on and cranked and cranked and then it came to life and ran like new! I was very happy. That is one complex carb for such a small engine. For me, the X520 is an enigma. It has the more expensive liquid-cooled engine but none of the nice stuff that most people want. It does have the locking diff but nothing else. It has the foot pedal deck raiser and manual steering. I guess a professional lawn man might want that combo because it was owned by a lawn maintenance man who had to pawn it three years ago and never came back to get it. That's why the carb was full of jelly. Sometimes low hours are not your friend.

·
blinged out
1,216 Posts
enigma is a good word for it! I was unaware the x520 was a liquid cooled machine. I assumed it was an x500 with P.S. and lift! Does anybody know what the price difference was between a 520/540! I'm curious what mother deere thought the comfort Items would be worth to customers! My 2014 x540 was just under 10 cdn. out the door with tax.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
From what I can tell the X520 is the same as the X500 except it has the liquid-cooled engine. There may be some small upgrades but basically they are the same tractor. The X530 was the same as the X540 except for the engine Maybe one of the guys who know JD's numbering system can chime in here because, after the models here, I do not know about the X570/X580 etc.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My TSC store had a different one. It is designed to attach to the rim. It was $10, so I figured I didn't have much to lose. I installed it today. It is not a quality item, but I was able to get it installed without having to re-tap the screw hole. On the X534, I don't see the need for it. It appears to only have 2 turns lock-to-lock, which means only 1 turn from center to either direction and the X534 turns VERY tightly. I found the knob just got in the way. I removed it, but I will keep it in case I decide to give it another try when I need to actually mow.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
enigma is a good word for it! I was unaware the x520 was a liquid cooled machine. I assumed it was an x500 with P.S. and lift! Does anybody know what the price difference was between a 520/540! I'm curious what mother deere thought the comfort Items would be worth to customers! My 2014 x540 was just under 10 cdn. out the door with tax.
Yes. 2 ways to look at it. I wanted the X540 but money was tight in 2009 and I saved just a little over $1000 bucks, I had to have the Kawa Liquid Cooled Engine more than anything, but gave up Power Lift, Power Steering , Tilt Wheel. BUT still got the HDAP tires standard. So yes an X520 is a X500 without Liquid Cooled but with HDAP's. And I was offered the X530 but here again I had to give up the Liquid Cooled, not happening.
Back then that $1000 bought most of the 44 snowblower !!!!!!!!

·
blinged out
1,216 Posts
I'm not convinced the liquid cooling is all that big of a deal now with superior engine oils available to withstand higher engine oil temps! I bought the x540 for the resort with liquid cooling in case I ended up having someone else operating the machine in my absense and feared they wouldn't run it at wot, which is a must with air cooled engines!
the extra cost of maintenance and repairs to a liquid cooled machine always concerns me! I guess it going to take a few years to figure out which machine ends up being the winner and better deal 2008 x500/54 $4900cdn which had 20hrs.,2014 x540 new $9950 the p.s. on the 540 is wonderful with the spinner,never thought p.s. was important until I cut for a full day!

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
There are plenty of threads on the Liquid cooled vs non. ( obviously I'm convinced) LOL
I had just noticed there was some confusion on what X5XX models were equipped with what ?
WOT is just as important for the transmission !!!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts