My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up this walk behind just 20 minutes away from home for pretty cheap. It looks a little rough, but it runs and all the gears seem to work fine. The PTO also appears to engage and disengage appropriately. Seller said it has a Studebaker engine. Other than the words on the hood, I don’t see any model tags anywhere, but from what I can tell it’s a C-8?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Toy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Picked up this walk behind just 20 minutes away from home for pretty cheap. It looks a little rough, but it runs and all the gears seem to work fine. The PTO also appears to engage and disengage appropriately. Seller said it has a Studebaker engine. Other than the words on the hood, I don’t see any model tags anywhere, but from what I can tell it’s a C-8?

View attachment 2565891
I use the planter bit a lot and it works great. I live in north eastern Pa. Where it’s more rock than dirt, nothing stops it. Enjoy your new tractor

·
Registered
382 Posts
Congrats on the acquisition, Yes, it appears to be a C-8.
Studebaker owned Gravely at one time but I wouldn't call it a Studebaker engine - its a Gravely T-head engine.
Does it have the vertical plug or a slanted plug? How about a pic of under the hood. Is the air cleaner on the side above the carb? If so it is a C-8, otherwise it could be an L-8 with a newer hood.

Here is a '67 I refreshed a few years back.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That’s a pristine looking tractor—nice job!

I’ll get some pics under the hood next time I get a chance, but this one has a vertical plug and air filter above the carb like yours. The governor isn’t installed, but he gave me one that he said fits the engine. It seems to run fine, but there are some things that need some work. The button to shut off the engine is frozen up, the oil filler cap doesn’t seal real well, the air filter needs a new gasket, rubber washer, filter etc. So nothing major that I can see this far.

Any suggestions on a replacement air filter, gasket to make oil filler cap fit snug, etc?

Looks like WIX 42373 air filter is the correct size, which is handy since I believe that’s the same filter I’m using on my 816’s CCKA.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
For the oil filter, anything which crosses with a PH8A will do. That's a different size than what goes on a CCKA.

I don't have the air filter number off the top of my head. When I get out in my shop I'll see what I can find and post, if nobody beats me to it :)

For the oil cap, I would just find a scrap of rubber from an old inner tube (maybe two thicknesses) and cut a ring. Cork is even better if you can find it.

I've never liked those pushbutton kill switches. It's too easy to release it at the wrong time, get a kick, and knock your crank flywheels out of alignment. On my machines I prefer a key switch, or a positive action switch like Dorman: 85905 - Toggle Switch | eBay

If you have the straight plug, it's a 7.6 engine. But you have the original style controls. That places it about 67-70, I believe. The serial number should be on a small plate on the lower left side of the advance casting. If you can find that, it will allow you to date it exactly.

Great grab! Looking forward to seeing more pix.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
I crossed referenced the WIX 42373 with air filters listed here: Gravely C8 Air Filter Cross Reference

Thanks for the oil filter size and suggestion on key switch or toggle switch. I think I’ll probably do a key switch since I’m not real fond of that push button to start.

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
Not having used a planter bit before, what type of things do you find you generally use it for?
The idea is that you can use it for planting shrubs and small trees. You position the drive so the shaft is vertical, and don't put in the pin, or at least put it pretty high up. The bit drills its way down and flings the dirt to the side of the hole.

In practice you can't go much deeper than 8-10 inches, because the dirt just swirls around in the hole. But you can pick it out, clear the dirt, and keep going deeper. Most plants that big don't need a hole deeper than about a foot anyway.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice job on that tractor you fixed up in that link you posted. I noticed you installed a solenoid after the key switch. I don’t believe there is a solenoid after the push button start on the C-8 I got, so I’ll have to pick one up when installing a key switch.

I looked for something about the air filter in the thread as well, but couldn’t find anything. Maybe I overlooked it?

I can see that planter bit coming in handy if planting a lot of stuff. Seems like it would be a real time saver.

Any suggestions for a spark plug wire for this C-8?

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
I noticed you installed a solenoid after the key switch.
Yes, you need a solenoid. The little key switch can't handle anything like starting current. Look for a fairly heavy duty one, the generic lawn tractor solenoids generally don't have a high current rating, and will fail within a couple of years. Something like https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...l-harvester-and-farmall-tractors?cm_vc=-10005 will do nicely, though there are cheaper ones.
I looked for something about the air filter in the thread as well, but couldn’t find anything. Maybe I overlooked it?
Sorry about that, I spaced. Last time I changed them I used Baldwin PA1748. I know there's a Wix cross, but 30 seconds of googling didn't find it.
Any suggestions for a spark plug wire for this C-8?
Just about anything will work, as long as you have the right plug to go into the mag. These days I just make up spark plug wires. I have a box of connectors and a spool of (non-resistor) wire, and cut to length. If you take your old one to a decent auto parts store they should be able to set you up.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. Regarding the solenoid, I had just assumed the starter had one on it like my CCKA starter does, but I hadn’t look to see yet. I thought maybe you were adding an additional one in between.

I think the PA1748 must be something other than the Gravely C-8. It looks too tall and narrow…. Baldwinhttps://www.baldwinfiltersrus.com/baldwin-pa1748-air-element-filter.html

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
Correct, when I add a key switch and solenoid to a L, the solenoid is a separate unit. I mount it down in the spot where the foot switch usually goes. The CCKA starter has a build-in solenoid. (It's actually from a Mitsubishi car, IIRC).

I probably misread above: Is your air filter side-mounted, like in SC's picture above? That's a different part. The one I cited is for a vertical air filter, mounted inboard next to the mag.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yes, my air filter is like SC’s. WIX 42373 appears to be the correct one. I believe I’ve got an extra in the garage since that’s what I use on my CCKA, but I haven’t been home enough to check yet.

The current air filter has a foam ring around it. Do you all usually use one of those as well? I didn’t see one listed in the owner’s manual.

Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel Engineering

·
Registered
382 Posts
Synthetic? They are superior oils and reckon they would work. Regular oil is what I have used for over 50+ years,

As for the foam ring on the air filter, I converted my old L to the dry type back in the early '80's. I contacted my dealer about sending me the foam ring for the filter. He was a cantankerous old phart and an old friend and he kept telling me I didn't need it. Finally I asked why don't i need it. He said. "Keeps you from buying air filters"! He had a point.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Synthetic? They are superior oils and reckon they would work. Regular oil is what I have used for over 50+ years,

As for the foam ring on the air filter, I converted my old L to the dry type back in the early '80's. I contacted my dealer about sending me the foam ring for the filter. He was a cantankerous old phart and an old friend and he kept telling me I didn't need it. Finally I asked why don't i need it. He said. "Keeps you from buying air filters"! He had a point.
I wasn’t sure about the synthetic. I’ve got a fair amount of 10w-30 synthetic on hand, but read some say they noticed oil leaks on these older machines when running synthetic instead of conventional.

Regarding plugs, it looks like Champion H8 is recommended, but it appears some substitute H10C. I see a lot of Champion H8C/Champion 587 plugs on eBay. What are you using in your 7.6?

1 - 20 of 143 Posts