My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded up to a Revolver last week. Didn't care for the p22 anymore and wanted a revolver for the simplicity and ease of use. At least i think it's and upgrade. Some say nah, autos are better.
It's a model 317 AirLite .22LONG RIFLE. It will shoot shorts etc. which is nice. The p22 could only shoot LR's. It compliments my Marlin 39A nicely IMO.
It is amazingly light at 11.9 oz! Less than a can of soda. Could not believe when he handed it to me.
Nice thing to is Smith's lifetime warranty Used or not. I looked and handled a few other makes (taurus-cheap feel imo, Ruger -nice but heavier, etc. this Smith just plain feels like it's made for your hand.
Last pic is of the trade in.
MU

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the nice thing about it too. The fiber optic sight is awesome too. It will be a nice piece to carry when needed.

MU

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Thats a nice looking gun, I always did like the wheel guns, simple and easy to use. Being a 22 cal. yes you can shoot that all day and not get tied up in bunch of ammo costs, congrats :fing32:.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They offer a 10 shot but not in the airlite frame. Held one too but did not even consider once he offered this one.
He said speed loaders aren't offered for this 8 shot? Have not looked into it yet.
I like CCi's stingers, mini-mags, and cb-shorts (yard use). The cb's work well on small parcels of land. About as loud as my pellet rifle.

MU

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Glad you like your new revolver. They're very fun to shoot and VERY reliable. I've been looking for a decent deal on a Walther P22 to compliment my PPS .40. Too bad I hadn't talked with ya sooner!

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Ingersoll444,
The CB caps are very quiet in a rifle, but because of the cylinder\barrel gap are fairly loud in a revovler. A pistol will not cycle them through the action, altough if you can get them to load in a magazine, you could manually eject the spent cases and recharge the chamber like a single shot.
Out of a rifle they will hit about 2 inches lower than a .22 LR at 25 yards. The farther out you shoot the more they drop. I have used them for pest control and small game hunting at 30 yds max.

A model 53? I haven't seen one of those in a few years. I worked in a few Gun shops for the last 25 years as a gun smith.

Munderhill,
I really like the light weight of the 317 for carrying I don't like the lightweight for shooting. I had a hard time keeping that sight on target. I finally went with a Stainless Model 63 the extra weight helps to steady these old hands.
As for speed loaders, I believe HKS does make them for the 317.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
That is the thing about Smith Revolvers, the more you shoot them, the smoother they become. If you do regular maintenance, will last more than a lifetime, and they are just one of the things that you can invest in, use and enjoy, and hold their value very well.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ingersoll444,
The CB caps are very quiet in a rifle, but because of the cylinder\barrel gap are fairly loud in a revovler. A pistol will not cycle them through the action, altough if you can get them to load in a magazine, you could manually eject the spent cases and recharge the chamber like a single shot.
Out of a rifle they will hit about 2 inches lower than a .22 LR at 25 yards. The farther out you shoot the more they drop. I have used them for pest control and small game hunting at 30 yds max.

A model 53? I haven't seen one of those in a few years. I worked in a few Gun shops for the last 25 years as a gun smith.

Munderhill,
I really like the light weight of the 317 for carrying I don't like the lightweight for shooting. I had a hard time keeping that sight on target. I finally went with a Stainless Model 63 the extra weight helps to steady these old hands.
As for speed loaders, I believe HKS does make them for the 317.
Thanks for the info.
I know the cci-cb's are rated at 710fps.
Super quiet throuhg my 39a. Have not shot this new pistol yet.

MU

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Now that's a S&W Revolver I could warm up to! I got rid of my .357 because it was just too rough on the hands (2" barrel non lock).

That's a sharp revolver!

·
Premium Member
3,664 Posts
Traded up to a Revolver last week. Didn't care for the p22 anymore and wanted a revolver for the simplicity and ease of use. At least i think it's and upgrade. Some say nah, autos are better.
It's a model 317 AirLite .22LONG RIFLE. It will shoot shorts etc. which is nice. The p22 could only shoot LR's. It compliments my Marlin 39A nicely IMO.
It is amazingly light at 11.9 oz! Less than a can of soda. Could not believe when he handed it to me.
Nice thing to is Smith's lifetime warranty Used or not. I looked and handled a few other makes (taurus-cheap feel imo, Ruger -nice but heavier, etc. this Smith just plain feels like it's made for your hand.
Last pic is of the trade in.
MU
Nice ! I picked up this NOS ( i think it was made in 1984, have to find box , has no stupid key lock or any of that crap ) got it because it was light and in my fave small rimfire and thats .22 Mag. Man it cost me a grip I know that....sheesh.....Heres a cpl pics. Its a 8 shot I think, its downstairs and aint seen it for awhile. I keep it by the front door so the ole lady can fire it without charging it or worry about the recoil lol.
It took me 10 mins to find these two pix, I have some more of them. Its a 521 I think. I dont even kmow what all Ive got.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts