My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been glancing occasionally at the used section at my local gun shops and haven't really seen anything I was interested in for quite some time. Cabela's had some Police trade in 870 "Police Magnum" shotguns with 18" barrels, extended mag, and stock that holds 4 extra rounds in it, and not at a bad price, but like most police trade ins, the stocks were beat up from smashing stuff, and they were poorly maintained. I still may pick one up, but for now, I found a nice little Ruger LCR that I had been eyeing for a while. The shop also had a Smith and Wesson M&P Bodyguard .38 with an Insight laser. The bodyguard was so poorly cared for that the cylinder was dragging- mainly from powder residue. and the fact that it had an Insight laser which tend to fail sooner than a crimson trace, at least in my experience, and show that it was a several year old gun, made me choose the Ruger... In addition to the ruger having a better grip, and better trigger, and the cylinder release being easier to use and in my opinion, better placed and seemingly more durable. I did like the look of the M&P however, the Ruger looks cool too. My first Matte black revolver too.

The ruger i bought is lightly used and came with a box of Hornady Critical Defense ammo and a half box of practice ammo, and the gun was fairly clean too. So for $299 used with about 45 rounds ammo, I was happy to pay that :)

·
Choke's stuck on!
495 Posts
I was on the fence between those 2 revolvers just a few years ago, but the SW had the CT laser. Ended up with the SW because it fit my hand best, but I think i preferred the looks and dry fire action of the Ruger. it is quite amazing how these polymer guns carry IWB. I only notice it when I sit down.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was on the fence between those 2 revolvers just a few years ago, but the SW had the CT laser. Ended up with the SW because it fit my hand best, but I think i preferred the looks and dry fire action of the Ruger. it is quite amazing how these polymer guns carry IWB. I only notice it when I sit down.
I thought the grips on the ruger were better, I traditionally like the J frame shape better, but I have put rubber "boot grips" on 2 of my J-frames, one by altamount which has a wood insert in the rubber, and the uncle Mikes on the other. I agree carrying it, it is almost unnoticeable, and you really can't get much more fun than a revolver IMO

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here's the only pic my stupid computer imported so far

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After having a range session with the Ruger, it has a unmistakingly amazing trigger. It is fantastic.

·
Administrator
14,838 Posts
Can tell you're a big fan of revolvers. You have a nice run there. I don't have any at the moment, but I been eyeing the Ruger Blackhawk .45 ACP 4-5/8".

·
Registered
557 Posts
Smith and Wesson 640 Pro .357 Mag and CZ P-10 C 9mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
I had been glancing occasionally at the used section at my local gun shops and haven't really seen anything I was interested in for quite some time. Cabela's had some Police trade in 870 "Police Magnum" shotguns with 18" barrels, extended mag, and stock that holds 4 extra rounds in it, and not at a bad price, but like most police trade ins, the stocks were beat up from smashing stuff, and they were poorly maintained. I still may pick one up, but for now, I found a nice little Ruger LCR that I had been eyeing for a while. The shop also had a Smith and Wesson M&P Bodyguard .38 with an Insight laser. The bodyguard was so poorly cared for that the cylinder was dragging- mainly from powder residue. and the fact that it had an Insight laser which tend to fail sooner than a crimson trace, at least in my experience, and show that it was a several year old gun, made me choose the Ruger... In addition to the ruger having a better grip, and better trigger, and the cylinder release being easier to use and in my opinion, better placed and seemingly more durable. I did like the look of the M&P however, the Ruger looks cool too. My first Matte black revolver too.

The ruger i bought is lightly used and came with a box of Hornady Critical Defense ammo and a half box of practice ammo, and the gun was fairly clean too. So for $299 used with about 45 rounds ammo, I was happy to pay that :)
Sounds like a good deal. In Massachusetts, pretty soon any purchase of a pistol will be a good deal. Confiscation is on its way!!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a good deal. In Massachusetts, pretty soon any purchase of a pistol will be a good deal. Confiscation is on its way!!
Ironically, our gun grabbing commie attorney general is not going after handguns. yet. Only "assault rifles" basically only the AR15 and AK47 style rifles. But you can buy a mini 14 or a SKS legally with no issue - same caliber, similar action, but no pistol grip and parts don't interchange with the above mentioned platforms.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Molon Labe

Bullets first, of course...

·
Parts collector
2,761 Posts
My wife has a SW .38 snub nose revolver, I have an LCP Ruger .380

I used to have a Taurus .357 revolver with a vented 6" barrel stainless. Loved that gun lost it in a divorce. I actually hunted with it a few times.

I'd like to get something a little better than the .380 but I love the smallness of it. And I'm looking for better amo for it. I have solid core copper now but I don't like the way it shoots and it doesn't "mush". My brother is using aluminum rounds in his and loves them and they make the gun lighter also. We will see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts