My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this K532 from a local mower shop. It came out of a John Deere 400 that got a new Vanguard installed. This was just rebuilt and the customer complained that it would send out a bunch of smoke when he was going down a hill. After several attempts at finding the problem they gave up on it and repowered the tractor. We'll see if we can find anything.

Attachments

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,122 Posts
Sounds to me like maybe a carb problem with the inlet valve and float when on a hill. But since you did not state what type or color of smoke that would be my guess, since it was a rebuild so most likely the carb was over looked.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds to me like maybe a carb problem with the inlet valve and float when on a hill. But since you did not state what type or color of smoke that would be my guess, since it was a rebuild so most likely the carb was over looked.
I don't know for sure what color it was. I was just told thick oil smoke. I need to get it running and see if I can recreate the problem by tilting the engine.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hooked up a power wire to the coil and dumped some fuel down the carb and it fires right up. I need to make a temporary engine cradle/stand to keep it from vibrating around and setup a remote fuel tank.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,122 Posts
We call that a engine test stand, You must be out of them will all the other irons in the fire currently (Farmall) :tango_face_devil: :tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should just change my screen name to "SIDETRACKED". I ran out of irons to put in the fire a long time ago. :tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who rebuilt it? Done professionally or PO have a "buddy" do it? I'm about to get some extra irons for the fire, you want me to send you a couple?? :sidelaugh
The mower shop rebuilt it. My dad did the boring and honing of the block for them in trade for scrounging rights in there stock pile of old engines and tractors. I could use a couple dozen of those irons for starters.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was thinking maybe oil rings weren't offset properly which may give the heavy smoke when engine is at an angle.
I really need to get it running and see if I can get it to smoke. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went looking for the breather on this engine. I expected to find a reed type bolted into the block, but found this has a "non-serviceable" breather housing with what looks like a rubber seal pressed in valve bolted onto the top of the governor housing. It looked pretty oily around the gasket area when I pulled it off so there was definitely some oil where it could get sucked into the intake. From what I can tell the valve seems to be working so now I need to look at the governor to see how much oil is fed into the housing thru a pressure line. Don't know if its not draining fast enough allow oil to build up to the point of being sucked into the breather. Just more ?'s at this point.

Attachments

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
921 Posts
Too much oil? That Kohler sits in a 400 at a pretty significant angle. Somewhere around the forum are instructions about what the level should be from the bottom of the pan-checked by a dowel. Sitting flat on a test bench, the dipstick won't be accurate.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Too much oil? That Kohler sits in a 400 at a pretty significant angle. Somewhere around the forum are instructions about what the level should be from the bottom of the pan-checked by a dowel. Sitting flat on a test bench, the dipstick won't be accurate.
I'll try looking, but I usually don't have much luck finding info like that. It would be nice to know an approx. angle that it sits.

I talked with the guy at the mower shop again and he said that he couldn't get the tractor to smoke when he had it at the shop and he has a few pretty good hills to run it on. This makes me wonder if there is anything wrong with the engine. Only running it will tell the story.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts