My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993. This may be the best deal I have found yet.

Paid very little for it,,with a deck,,snow blade ,ww's and chains.

Guy told me it quit running,,so he replaced fuel pump and cleaned carb. And then after that it would only run for a minutes and then stall. And gave up on it.

I got it home,,,started it and it ran for,maybe, 30 seconds and stalled. So I took air cleaner off,, seen the new fuel pump and the nice clean carb.

Also noticed the main jet needle was screwed all the way in. So I adjusted it out 2 turns ,,,and I can't get it to stall. Runs great!!!

I have not run this allot,,,and a little confused because he said it would run for 2 minutes,,,sometimes five then just quit. That's not possible with the jet closed. So may have been before he did any work.
So,,,,, I might still have a problem,,,,but I let it run for 10 minutes and there was not a hick-up. (I may be celebrating early but hoping I am lucky)

This is a heavy duty tractor with 6 speed ,,high /low trans. And it's in great shape.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
That is a beast of a tractor, I am working on a 1993 GT6000 just like it. That Kohler M18 Magnum really roars at full throttle. :trink39:

Good Luck!

Seth K. Pyle

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Congrats and good luck with it. slkpk

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks,, I have seen allot of good reports on this. I really like the high /low in the trans.Looks very well built.
Wish it came with a bigger deck though.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,223 Posts
Nice! Sounds lie you got a deal! I love it when it takes almost nothing to get it running!

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Flash5153, keep your eyes open for an AYP 50" deck. It came on some of the later GT18's, and some Ropers. My 1988 GTK181AR had the 50" deck. Just like what you have now, only 6" wider.

Seth K. Pyle

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed the blade but found out the PTO electric clutch is messed up,,,wants to stall the engine when on. Maybe a short. It tries to engage.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It just dawned on me,,,the seat switch needs to be hooked up for this to work!!! DOH!!! Never mind.

·
Fabman
81 Posts
LoL. I had a problem this summer with my pto clutch just like you on my 1620 Cub and it was the seat safety also. Nice tractor and i luv those magnum engs. Randy. G:howdy:

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know how to adjust the clutch on this?? If it is easy I will try.

It is pretty hard to push down,,seems there is very little travel in it too. The brakes are right on,,maybe too much. Touch the clutch pedal and the brakes are on.
As far as shifting it's not too bad but will grind sometimes when putting in gear unless the clutch pedal is just right.

Will be fine as is,,but if easy to adjust ,,,why not??

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Hello flash5153, could be brake is adjusted too tight, or ground drive belt is too short.

What is the model number of your GT6000?

Mine is 917.255960, not exactly yours, but close.

Try this for the IPL for mine:

http://v-import-manual.s-9.dk/data/archive/files/255960.pdf

Try this for the owner's manual for mine:

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0807534.pdf

Again, these are not the exact same as yours, but should get you in the ballpark for what you need to know.

Good Luck!

Seth K. Pyle

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The brake looks easy to adjust . I will give it a try today. It may the problem. I can see where if it is too tight it would not let the clutch pedal travel any farther.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Flash 5153, Those are nice tractors. I Had the Roper version that I sold to my neighbor and it still works great after 20 years. Mine had the Kohler 18 HP horizontal eng. The drive belt has to be the exact one and the brake has to be adjusted just right or you will grind gears. I tried to use a belt that was a half inch shorter thinking I could compensate the difference by adjusting the idler pulley, would not work. Another thing to check is that the belt is routed through guides and pulleys the correct way. It is easy to get that belt on the wrong side of a guide. Good luck. Time

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have a 1994 model, hydro. I love it. Good luck with yours!

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,256 Posts
I had an 80's model GT6000 and it was a very good tractor. It had the Kohler 18hp Magnum engine & 44" deck. In the 8 yrs I owned it (bought it used) I had to replace the starter and drive belt and thats it. IIRC replacing the belt wasn't bad and adjusting the clutch wasn't either. It's been too many moons since I owned it (sold it back in 03) so I don't recall the specifics but I do recall it very fondly :D

Dave

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hooked the seat switch up and the PTO electric clutch worked great.:trink39:

Whats it worth with a snow blade and the 44" deck?? WW and chains??

It's runs great and everything seems to work well and it's in pretty good shape even on a very close inspection.

Attachments

·
Working to a 1K post
1,062 Posts
Nice tractor :thThumbsU
I got Rob a 91' GT6000 model last year, he still hasn't done anything to it.
He also has an 84' GT18, both have the 18hp Briggs and I must say that
the 84' is one heck of a tractor :thThumbsU

Merrie​

Merrie​

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's the finished product.

I had a guy come look at it last night ,,we was going to do some bartering.

He got on it,,,, and started it. Then looked up at me and said. "I don't think I can drive this tractor" And he was correct!!! He is a pretty big guy and could not see,, let alone reach the shifter.

It was a little surprising to me because he's not huge,,just a big dude. We tried to move the seat back and it is all the way back.

Makes me wonder if this is the correct seat on this. Because it is kinda close.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts