My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about these.It runs and drives nice and it's in pretty clean shape.Also has a new battery.I think it'll look good after a nice bath :fing32:.I got it from a young guy who got it from his parents when he bought there house.They had a tiny yard and the tractor was overkill,his parents bought it new.He bought a new push mower and wanted this thing gone.He said he knew it was old and not worth much,and not many people would probably want it :biglaugh:.The model # is 917.258872,any info would be great.

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,266 Posts
nice find! i would ask what you paid but not sure i want to know the answer

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice find! i would ask what you paid but not sure i want to know the answer
$248-I may cleen it and flip it???I want to play with it for a bit.I'm surpised how heavy it is that's for sure!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE!I took it for a ride,and the engine runs SWEET!Bad news when i went to go up a hill the trans started bucking/slipping :banghead3.And advice on what to check,or is the trans. wasted???It's clean on the outside,not all sludged up like it's been leaking.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Try pulling up with your foot on the brake pedal while going uphill. If a slipping belt is your problem this may tighten it up enough to make a difference. My GT6000 Hydro would slip a little going uphill with a load until I replaced the stretched out belt.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try pulling up with your foot on the brake pedal while going uphill. If a slipping belt is your problem this may tighten it up enough to make a difference. My GT6000 Hydro would slip a little going uphill with a load until I replaced the stretched out belt.
These are belt drive???

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i just went for another ride.This time i aimed for a STEEP hill and pulled back on the pedal.I nearly wheely'd up it!!! :trink39:I'm a happy camper to say the least.I'll post some fresh pics tomorrow after she's cleaned up.Is this tractor the same as a GT6000?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Nice find! I've got to ask how did you guys come to the price of $248?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice find! I've got to ask how did you guys come to the price of $248?
The ad said $300-OBO,so i offered $250-and he said OK.I only brought 20 dollar bills with me,except for 8 one dollar bills.I asked if $248-was ok and he said it was :fing32:

·
Registered
157 Posts
These are belt drive because they have vertical shaft engines.
Actually both my GT 6000s (Kohler vertical 18HP hydro and Kohler horizontal 18HP 6 speed) are belt drive. In fact I believe they use the same size belt.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The exact model number is not on a list that I have but a similar number is for a 1996 tractor.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
This thread caught my eye http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=123461 .I checked my engine numbers and it has a 20HP engine also!The decals on the tractor/air filter say 18.5HP.I wonder if the guy putting the decals on was hitting the bottle at work???:drunkie:
My orange Suburban has 12hp on one side of the hood and 10hp on the other! :drunkie: Must have been the same problem, I guess they put the drunk guy on the sticker station instead of something more critical! Ed

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a 97 with a 15HP Kohler. Looks a lot like yours, although there are some differences. The back of the fenders on yours are more squared off. Mine is a 42" cut and my battery is under the seat. The engine looks different and my fuel tank is under the cowel just in font of the front panel.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I pulled the deck and cleaned her up a bit.Looks MUCH better!It was made in October "97,would that make it a "98 model?(i read the Commands came out in "98 in these).Just called Sears,they have the drive belt in stock and waiting for me :fing32:

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts