My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't turn down the offer of a free Stihl 051 AV chainsaw. The PO said it did run several years ago, but had carb problems . Now he can't get it to run at all and didn't want to mess with it. I got it home, blew some of the crud off, and checked it for spark. Spark was good so I put some new fuel in it. No go. Pulled the plug and poured a cap full of fuel mix in, still nothing. Pulled the air filter and dumped 2 cap fulls of fuel mix down the carb. Three more pulls and it fired up. It will idle ok, but boggs when you give it throttle. It got a little better after it warmed up, but still not good. I had to put it away at that point and will try some carb adjustments next.

100_3124 (Medium).JPG 100_3125 (Medium).JPG 100_3126 (Medium).JPG

·
Super Moderator
8,312 Posts
Great score! If you get that beast running well it'll cut anything you can lower it on.

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great score! If you get that beast running well it'll cut anything you can lower it on.
That is awesome! That is a 90cc monster of a saw. A heavy beast of a saw for sure, but definitely cool.
I was thinking it might work good on our Alaskan mill. We'll see once I get it running good.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Excellent find @cjet69, the kind of finds we would all like to get now and then...

Reactions: cjet69

·
Super Moderator
37,141 Posts
I couldn't turn down the offer of a free Stihl 051 AV chainsaw. The PO said it did run several years ago, but had carb problems . Now he can't get it to run at all and didn't want to mess with it. I got it home, blew some of the crud off, and checked it for spark. Spark was good so I put some new fuel in it. No go. Pulled the plug and poured a cap full of fuel mix in, still nothing. Pulled the air filter and dumped 2 cap fulls of fuel mix down the carb. Three more pulls and it fired up. It will idle ok, but boggs when you give it throttle. It got a little better after it warmed up, but still not good. I had to put it away at that point and will try some carb adjustments next.

View attachment 2460483 View attachment 2460484 View attachment 2460485
Wow, nice saw for free. Clean the air filter, when my 026 pro bogs like that it is normally the air filter is pretty dirty.

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This saw has been sitting since I got it last June. I thought I would try to start it again. It took about a dozen pulls and it fired up. This time after warming up it ran much better and would rev up. Now I need to drag a log out and get it some cutting time. I wonder if the new fuel and a short run when I got it helped clean out the carb so it runs better now. Usually things don't get better after sitting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts