My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought this Ferguson home today. Not sure what model it is yet. I'll get some #'s tomorrow and see if I can figure out what it is.

100_2682 (Medium).JPG 100_2683 (Medium).JPG 100_2684 (Medium).JPG

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,780 Posts
My uncle had one, found memories of riding with one foot on axle, one foot on 3 point arm, leaning against the fender.

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just looked at the tag and it is a TO and the serial # 14558 looks like a 1949 TO-20 if I'm reading things right.

100_2685 (Medium).JPG

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
I always liked them better than the N series Fords, due to the OHV Continental engines. Those are sweet little engines.

Sometimes I have to chuckle, when someone asks how big of a tractor they need for their 5 acre "farm", and get replies of no less than a 40 hp. or more tractor. I worked with an older fellow a few years back, that said he and his brother farmed 120 acres with 2, TO-20 Ferguson's, growing corn, and soybeans, and another 30 acres of hay.

My neighbor across the road farmed 120 acres growing crops to feed their dairy cows, with 2, Farmall H's.And, they are only 26 hp, on a good day.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,709 Posts
Here's one at my local JD Dealer. Kind of looks like it has staked out this centerpiece spot in the tractor yard for a while now:

Just as good as a new tractor for climbing on according to my Grandson

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always liked them better than the N series Fords, due to the OHV Continental engines. Those are sweet little engines.

Sometimes I have to chuckle, when someone asks how big of a tractor they need for their 5 acre "farm", and get replies of no less than a 40 hp. or more tractor. I worked with an older fellow a few years back, that said he and his brother farmed 120 acres with 2, TO-20 Ferguson's, growing corn, and soybeans, and another 30 acres of hay.

My neighbor across the road farmed 120 acres growing crops to feed their dairy cows, with 2, Farmall H's.And, they are only 26 hp, on a good day.
Yep, those old tractors farmed a lot of ground over the years and still do.

Here's one at my local JD Dealer. Kind of looks like it has staked out this centerpiece spot in the tractor yard for a while now:

View attachment 2448002

Just as good as a new tractor for climbing on according to my Grandson
My brothers grandson does the same thing only now, at 7 years old, he wants to drive all of them.

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had the charger on the battery overnight. It had enough juice to spin the starter, but the bendix drive wouldn't engage. Pulled the starter out and found light rust on the shaft which I cleaned off and got the bendix working freely. Still need to install and test. After charging the battery again I did a load test and it looks like it needs a new battery. I also pumped up all of the tires and found the cores are leaking in the rears which appear to have calcium in them. We always have some cores on hand so it should be an easy fix. I turned the fuel on and got a bunch of crud in the sediment bowl and the carb leaked so they will need to be pulled and cleaned. I'm making some progress.

100_2693 (Medium).JPG 100_2698 (Medium).JPG 100_2699 (Medium).JPG

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulled and cleaned the carb today. Then installed the carb, starter and a battery from a different tractor. Cranked it a little and it fired up and ran pretty good. The fuel tank didn't look too bad so I didn't pull it, but did see some crud after running and driving it a little. When I first started the tractor it would grind when trying to put it in gear. I shut it off and put a cresent wrench on the PTO and with the clutch depressed I was able to break it loose pretty easy. I think it will make a good tractor when we get all the little things fixed on it.

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to add that it looks like the tractor needs a new water pump. It actually started leaking when we first looked at it. I rolled the engine over to see if it was stuck or not and it started dripping antifreeze. I was hoping after running it some that it would stop, no such luck. The generator wasn't hooked up and it had a 12 volt battery in it so we will be installing an alternator.

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picked up a new water pump.

100_2730 (Medium).JPG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice looking tractor. There is just something about the style of the early Fergies.
My first full size tractor was a TO-30, I have been a Ferguson owner ever since (MF35, MF30B & MF50E)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts