My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just picked up a Dixon 426 zero turn for next to nothing. Got it running and it cuts great, but the steering dosent work properly. Turns right fine but it has trouble going to the left. Started adjusting the cones but havent had much success yet. The cones dont seem damaged. There is some slop in the linkages so I probably need to replace those. It dosent have enough torque in the left wheel in reverse to turn the machine like it should. I have some parts coming in this week from a 429 so hopefully I can get it driving correctly. Thanks Walt for the great advice so far!
Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,148 Posts
If you plan your route correctly, you should be able to mow your property making nothing but right turns.

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

:trink40:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I had one of those for a while, lt1cj. I still think they were about the best cutting machines made. However, when it refused to operate(turn) properly, it would drive me to the point of insanity to get it to work! I blame Dixon for my premature hair loss! :ROF

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah getting those cones adjusted properly is a PITA! I have a 429 transaxle with the newer style cones on the way that I am going to install with some help from Walt. This thing cuts great though. Better than any mower I have ever had!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a Dixon and I've been told I have to keep it going Because no one in the family will use anything else.When it is working right I think they will out do a hydro going around things.They are great machines.That being said mine is also in need of some cones.I was wondering if you could shim the cones to get a little more life out of them.I have never had it taken a part that far.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,222 Posts
I have a Dixon and I've been told I have to keep it going Because no one in the family will use anything else.When it is working right I think they will out do a hydro going around things.They are great machines.That being said mine is also in need of some cones.I was wondering if you could shim the cones to get a little more life out of them.I have never had it taken a part that far.
What part of MO?

Dixons operate smother than any hydro I have driven and IF you accidentally bang something, the Dixon drive will slip a little and you glance off, with a hydro, when you bang something accidentally, it stays banged. Dixon drives hold up very well UNLESS you, your children or grandchildren use it for an ATV.

WHAT are the model numbers of your Dixon or can you send a close up photo of the Transaxle?

Walt Conner
wconner5 at verizon dot net (put in proper format)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm in the Bootheel of MO.
I don't think I have any pics of it.I think it is a 4422 or something like that.this is my 3rd year to use it.I think it is around a 94 or so can't remember.It looks alot like the one above.We don't have a dealer very close to buy parts but I've been able to get what I need so far.
They sure cut down on trim work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Figured out my left turn problem! Broken torque rod. It wasnt broke clean through so it appeared to be ok. When I tried to remove it, it just fell apart in two pieces. Swaped the other side to the left and now I have full power like it should. Hey Walt do you have any torque rods? I think i am going to fix the rod for now and convert over to the 429 drive when these cones wear out since there isnt much meat left on them anyway.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,222 Posts
".I think it is a 4422 or something like that.this is my 3rd year to use it.I think it is around a 94 "

IF that is the case, in my opinion, it is in the best series of Dixons ever made. While the transaxle may look like the one above to you, it sure does not to me. (Well I haven't seen your picture but assuming it is original.) 4422 should be Kohler powered. By the way, I bought the remaining parts inventory of a retiring dealer a couple of years ago and still have some extra parts to dispose of.

"Hey Walt do you have any torque rods?"

I have Torque Rods but I don't believe I have any new ones left of the type you need. IF you do not have a local source, I may have a used one for temp service. As I told you in my email, they recommend replacing both new and that is what I would do for permanent service.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
358 Posts
So you have some parts:thThumbsU Do you have any cones and cups for the drive unit.
You are right mine has a 14 HP Kohler Command Pro 42" cut.
I replaced the chains and small sprockets last year and had the unit out but did not pull the cones off.I'm adjusted out about all I can.Are you the one selling some of these on E-bay?
Mine does look different in the front section of his pics.
What is the difference in the Standard Drive and the Z-Drive?
Could a person shim the cone to get more life or are they on a taper?:thanku:

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,222 Posts
"What is the difference in the Standard Drive and the Z-Drive?"

There is a horrible difference, the Cones and Discups are the same, all the mounting and adjusting is drastically different. I don't know of any Service Tech who likes to work on these and the introduction of the Z-Drive pretty well finished off Dixon.

"Are you the one selling some of these on E-bay?" (Cones)

Absolutely not and no, I don't have any extras.

I would be interested in knowing what makes you think your cones are worn out and especially the "cups" Discups I assume you mean, the things that run on the cones.

Suggest you contact me at address below, put in proper format.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at verizon dot net

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thought I would update this thread. Got the 429 drive assembly installed in my 424. Was a direct bolt on except I had to drill out the holes for the neutral adjustment rods out to 3/8". The 429 drive is a lot beefier than the 424. Got the cones adjusted and it works great. Thanks go to Walt for all the help!

Walt do you have any bearings for the front wheels by any chance?

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,222 Posts
"I had to drill out the holes for the neutral adjustment rods out to 3/8""

Good, I think I said in one of my posts that you would have to do this. What did you do about the parking brake?

Walt Conner

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"I had to drill out the holes for the neutral adjustment rods out to 3/8""

Good, I think I said in one of my posts that you would have to do this. What did you do about the parking brake?

Walt Conner
Used the 424 parking brake. Basically I just used the center section of the 429 drive and bolted it to the 424 shafts and parking brake assembly. Worked great. Direct bolt in other than drilling out the two holes.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,222 Posts
"Got the 429 drive assembly installed in my 424. "

I think I may need to send you some different pages on adjustment that you may find helpful down the line??

Walt Conner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts