My Tractor Forum banner

Picked this up on way to work today

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  elite misfits 
#1 ·
I did a U-turn this morning because I was on way to work and saw three Gravely's sitting in a mans yard, turns out the city told him to clean up his front property a bit because its right on rt. 60 in a town called 'Milton' ( my home away from home, my wife was from there and my son grew up there and has a place there )
Anyhow he had 3 model L s and a rider that was covered-up that was about the biggest riding mower or whatever that was made and I think I have seen bigger cars like the old MG's that used to run around. But all B.S. aside it was a huge rider and the biggest Ive ever seen.
But out of the three I bought the worst one but got one of the little dozer looking blade and a 30" deck .
I was in a hella hurry but when I asked him if it ran he said "it did run" but he says the deck mechanics needs a bushing or something in it but who cares I have a few decks. I was in to big a hurry to do much but load it pay him the $200 and get to work.
I will take a pic of tag tomorrow cause its still in my truck in the rain.
So this one I will concentrate on it running and keep it because there is some brush and bamboo around my fence and out back and I could actually use one a little.
Its a beast but it'll keep me outta trouble. He gave me this nut that goes on the PTO or "in there" as he said.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, I just hate to be the one who suggest a price because Im not very good at it.
I pulled over and asked if it was for sale and he said "wadda ya give me fer it" and I didnt know what to say so he said it had a blade altho rough and I just said "how bout $200?" and he said 'well I can take that'
But for all I know I could have got it for $50! lol. Its all a chance I guess.

#6 ·
...So this one I will concentrate on it running and keep it because there is some brush and bamboo around my fence and out back and I could actually use one a little...
Mark,
Excellent find. Now, PLEASE promise me that you will keep your word about "concentrate on it running". It is missing a few items but you should be able to get those minor parts from your parts machine (nuts on shroud and carburetor hose... minor stuff!). Also, check the gasket between the carburetor and manifold (it is probably there but hard to tell from your picture) It is time to end your record of having the Gravely's the longest without running them;)! Set your ratchet in the tighten position only and do not start taking this apart!!! I bet you will have this running by this weekend - yes, consider that a challenge!!! That machine looks in better shape than when I got any of mine. Reading this latest event of yours brought a smile to my face this morning!

#8 ·
Just one more thing to add... I know I have seen where others have stated about Gravely prices are falling BUT I can firmly say that this is not going on here in my southern region! In fact, prices are getting foolish... or maybe sellers are just trying to see how there is any interest when the asking prices approaches exorbitant levels. In looking this morning, the least expensive Gravely L/C in a 200 mile radius of me was for a non-running machine for $450. Running machines are $800 to $1,200 - you did good for $200! Post a video of this machine once you get it running.

#10 ·
Oh you have my word on that Fireant, however ( man Im in a big hurry to go to work) this weekend is a impossibility because its already planned out not to mention I have to take it 80 miles 2-ways to work today because I dont know how Im gonna get it off my truck till maybe Sunday.
But I have to get the one Ive been on for goin on 3 yrs. running first and everything is weather dictated. Well Im late as heck and wer'e getting a 45 crate load of windshields in about now so I'll get back on here tonite.
Later Bud

#14 ·
Hey Fireant, the round deck and drive mechanism on top of it it white like that one of yours is in your picture. But the blade is yellow....or yellow and rust lol. I'll just grind it down to shiney steel.....one day after I get it running that is.

#13 ·
Sorry Dan but I was on my way to work and had to buy the one I got and load it with a tail gate that dont work ( gave a guy 20 bucks for helping me) my truck was blocking half of a main hiway and I didnt even uncover the rider mainly because I have no interest or need for them whatsoever.
I saw where I said in orig post that there was 3 L models and a rider but it was 2 L's and the rider.
But I know one thing it was huge and had to be 4' tall.
I wouldnt ask the old dude if I could uncover it and take a pic, some folks are a bit different in little towns around here, He would have just said " why you want a picture of that for? Aint gonna come back and try to steal it are ya?"
I got what I wanted got the heck out because I was on way to work and was glad of it.

#16 ·
Oh I have no idea, I had just got there and I asked if the L model there was for sale and he ho humed around and asked what I would give for it and I asked him what it had with it because theres nothing on it and he said he had the deck that mechanism needed a bushing or something ( his words) and he gave me a nut that he said went on or in it and I forgot the dual adapters he said he had and I said "is that rider a Gravely to?" and he said 'yea thats all I own' and I said 'its sure a big monster' and he chuckled and that was it. I never even saw it uncovered but I just know it was big and red.
I couldnt begin to tell what type or number it was because I know absolutly nothing about them.
Sorry rider folks

#19 ·
It could have been that one tractor tag but it didnt have that big roll bar or whatever it is like that one does, I certainly would have noticed that. I dont know if they can be removed or folded down or what.
All I saw everyone was a covered up big red traactor that the guy said was a Gravely and it was red and had the white wheels. I was in such a hurry I didnt really even ask him about the one I wanted most. Well maybe a bit I guess because I asked him if "that one in the garage was for sale" and he replied "Oh it would take a pretty penny to buy that one", so we loaded mine up and I paid him and gave whoever the big guy who did most of the work 20 bucks and I split.
I just saw it from the back prolly 25 or 30 feet away and saw it had a clean looking hood and dual tires on it. I wish I had more time I would have gotten that one but I got the dog of the lot.
But if I can get it to run I'll be happy.

#18 ·
I should send my little sister down after the other one but don't have the room :) She lives in Milton

#20 ·
I love Milton and would love to have some property or a small farm /place in the country outside of there. In 5 minutes you can be out in Gods country and be 5 mins away from all the stores and stuff you need and 10 mins away from a Wallyworld in Hurricane. Thats the best thing about West Virginia and I would never leave it.
I married a gal from there and my son has a place there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.