My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been grabbing tomato's for the last couple weeks and already have three ziploc bag's of maters in the freezer awaiting to me made into sauce.

Yesterday I noticed that I had a lot more maters than I could carry easy, so out come the harvest boxes I made last year. I also picked the corn that was ready. Remember, these were just the RIPE tomato's! There are plenty that are not quite ready and still green.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
nice looking maters:thThumbsU

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,743 Posts
Nice! We did a dozen jars of sauce this weekend. Your corn looks good, I didn't plant enough this year.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
looks like its gonna be a taste t. winter.good looking grub.nice boxes to cart the goods in.is that a home made table there sitting on.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys... This year just seemed to click with the maters. Very little to no cracking and the Roma's are all perfect. The corn was fair, but I did get some borer's early on, but the later ones that were treated did fine. I think I will plant it again next year, but with some better seeds and fertilizer. I was not pleased with the TSC seeds I bought this year, none of them did well at all and most required about a 50% replant rate to germinate. Live & learn! It's sad when the best crop was the maters and I am ashamed to admit, the seeds came from Wal-Mart!

PS, the table is factory made, but really nice and all oak.

As for the boxes, I got sick and tired of poor methods to harvest and baskets that were too small. I had made three of them, but one was left outdoors last winter by the kids and it's pretty much scrap wood after that!

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
looks great. I'm afraid we may not have a good harvest this year. Way too cool and wet. We are just now starting to see tomatoes.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Very nice tomatoes! Mine should start to come in soon.

My half runner green bean hit last week. I canned 21 quarts of them over the weekend.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
my roma's as well are doing very well, as are the cherry's, but my slicing are garbage.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, in Roma's, that box weigh's over 25lbs (1/2 a bushel) So far, I have picked about 75lbs of Roma's alone! (And they keep coming!)

I caned up 15 quarts of spaghetti sauce last weekend, and I have a half bushel in that box again, and at least and another half bushel frozen in the freezer. I may can a few quarts of whole Roma's and thaw the frozen ones for sauce this weekend. I should be good for a total of at least 30-40 quarts of sauce caned up before the plants are pulled!

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
After this weekend, I have now canned a total of 49 quarts of half runner green beans, froze 16 pints of sweet corn, canned 5 quarts of salsa, canned 12 quarts of blackberry jam, canned 17 half pints of apple butter, and I'm getting ready to make and can apple sauce tomorrow evening.

I've been busy, but I love doing it and it will sure be nice when the snow is flying in a few months.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's great! I have only been able to put up 14 quarts of green beans, but I do have a second batch in the ground. (Granted, they are only about 8" tall so if they don't get a move on it, they may not make it!)

I have the jam section well stocked for the year, but we have not started with apple sauce quite yet. One of these days I WILL have blackberry & raspberry bushes here of my own.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
We got hurt down here. Too hot, too dry, too long.
Our Water melons never got large, and taste sorta green.
Bug's weren't even much of a problem.

We have Sandstone about a foot or so below our garden soil. It tills up good but we just didn't get much green. The Grass grew though.
Perpelexing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts