My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this doesn't bore you guys, but the results have been pretty spectacular. This started with clearing out the 26 year old standard apple trees and removing stumps with an excavator. A 8' deer proof fence was erected and apple trees on Emla #7 & 111 were planted 5 years ago. The fence was redone from high tensile to knotted wire 8' deer fencing. Starting last year 251 were planted on the Tall Spindle system on trellises of high tensile wire, much like grape growers use.

105 of 251 of last years trees are now over the 9' wire.

This year 270 more were put in, and I have them tied to conduit and attached to the trellis. Today I got drip irrigation done for half. Tomorrow will finish and then hook up the fertilizer injector and feed them.

These trees are now 6 weeks old:

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some of the 5 year old trees:

This was where the mature 25 year old trees were torn out and the area prepped and reseeded.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I've loved reading all your orchard threads. If we had the space for it, my wife and I would love having an orchard just like that.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Excellent progress Waytogo! Those 1 yr. - 9 footers filled out just about everything already. Hope ya post some pruning shots this winter.

wwxx

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,100 Posts
Bore us? Not here. I've very much enjoyed seeing your progress installments.........wish there were more. You've made tremendous strides, but I'm more so impressed with the way you do things. Top notch and thoroughly thought out. My compliments!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Ohhhhhhh Ingersol44 you might like the instruction video that was posted in Phase 1 or 2 by c5rulz, the AG agent explains in depth what the object is, this is 'the modern' way to grow apples, it is mainly 'about production', but it based somewhat on the ancient 'espaliered' methods, I saw the one video somewhere, of them planting Idaho using this method, on a huge scale [as far as the eye can see, whatever that is] hahaha fascinating!

wwxx

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent progress Waytogo! Those 1 yr. - 9 footers filled out just about everything already. Hope ya post some pruning shots this winter.

wwxx
Actually there is very little pruning with this method. Rather than prune branches and the central leader are "tied down horizontally". This calms the tree down and reduces vigor and stop the tree from wanting to grow straight up which ALL trees will do left to their own. Once horizontal, the tree stops building wood and foliage and concentrates carbohydrates into setting fruit and fruiting spurs.:tango_face_smile_bi

In year 5 branches are renewed with a bevel cut to regrow the limb so apple are on young wood which makes a better apple. No more than 1 - 2 branches are done per tree so pruning is very quick.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have time right now, the boys want and need the morning walk. I have some new pics. Last week I counted and 213 of 251 are now over the 9' wire. Some are pushing 11' and need to be tied down. It only takes a few minutes a tree, but that still is quite an expenditure of time.

One of the impatient ones while I was on the ladder.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Actually there is very little pruning with this method. Rather than prune branches and the central leader are "tied down horizontally". This calms the tree down and reduces vigor and stop the tree from wanting to grow straight up which ALL trees will do left to their own. Once horizontal, the tree stops building wood and foliage and concentrates carbohydrates into setting fruit and fruiting spurs.:tango_face_smile_bi

In year 5 branches are renewed with a bevel cut to regrow the limb so apple are on young wood which makes a better apple. No more than 1 - 2 branches are done per tree so pruning is very quick.
Well as you know from my silly question...Anyway I'm glad you explained the processes, I got mixed up on the 5 yr. growth compared to the new stuff. I think your modern approach is very interesting, and I had to watch the video again.

wwxx

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well they have grown a lot in 3 weeks since I made this update.

On last count 233 out of 27 are now over the 9' wire.* Some are pushing 11' tall and need to be tied down.

These pics were taken on top of a ladder at the 9' wire.

These have been tied down:

Note growth to the 9' wire. These trees are now 15 months old.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,661 Posts
Missed a couple weeks of this thread. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. New screen name: Ronny Appleseed?

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Missed a couple weeks of this thread. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. New screen name: Ronny Appleseed?

My business cards say "Retired Guy Apples".:tango_face_wink:

FWIW, I was just measuring available space for next year. I ordered 140 Premier Honeycrisp, (matures 3 weeks ahead of conventional) last year. Have room for about 220 more but will most likely call it quits next year. (Nurseries are two years out when you order) Unless I decide to scrap the 28 conventioanal 5 year old trees and extend the trellises. Then I could get about 300 more in but most likely this is getting to be plenty.

When it comes to spraying which is every 14 days, it is not harder to spray a lot of trees than a few once you get the sprayer on the tractor but an air blast may be in the future but then I need a bigger tractor. Here is what they got this week. Good apples don't just happen, they are a product of a spray regime.

1# Imidan
.5 # Tompsin
1# Captan
1 Qt Borosol
2 Qt 10% Calcium
2 oz Wrangler, Imadacloporid
8 oz Li-700, non ionic surfactant and buffering agent

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I often get caught up in the actual growth of the trees and everyone is interested in how quick they produce apples. The following pics are from trees that 15 months old.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These are the 5 year old trees. Had I know about the tall spindle system I never would have planted these but they are getting pretty good sized right now. These have been chemically thinned and the population of apples is pretty good, not crowded:

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thought I would up date this. Had some hail damage so they aren't as nice as I would have liked.

A few pics of Honeycrisp apples on 18 month old trees.

·
Administrator
16,900 Posts
You've certainly put in a lot of work and it shows. Something to be proud of. Looks great. Most of the U-Pick operations around here have now opened for the season, but varieties are still a bit limited. But come middle to end of Oct. those places will be jammed. Makes for a nice place to take grandson. But for the most part we just so to the orchard store for their cider and get all the apples we can use for pies and apple sauce. Usually put up 3-4 doz sauce and half a doz pies in the freezer.
MikeC

1 - 20 of 22 Posts