My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a jack leg on my splitter that pivots and uses a pin to fix in in the down or up position. There is just enough slop on the pivot bolt to make it a PITA to get the pin through. The tongue is a hollow 2" square tube. Getting the pin part way in is one thing but trying to find the hole on the other end of the hollow tube is yet another. I usually have to bear the weight of the tongue on my knee and wiggle the jack leg around to get the pin to line up.

Anyway, enough is enough. I took off the ball hitch and jack leg to expose the hollow tongue and milled a piece of hardwood to be a snug fit inside. Drilled out the three bolt holes and the hole for the pin and now it's easy street. The hole through the wood guides the pin through the backside. Don't know why I didn't do this years ago.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The mind works slower in the cold:00000060: :fing20: and on old people!!!:sidelaugh :sidelaugh

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
This sounds like your wood splitter. If so, mine is the very same way. Sounds like a good solution that I may have to try.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
another solution for those with welder access would be to weld in a piece of pipe with an ID slightly larger than the pin.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another solution for those with welder access would be to weld in a piece of pipe with an ID slightly larger than the pin.
That is what the manufacturer should have done in the first place and it was my first thought. I searched around for a chunk of pipe with the right ID but came up empty. Sometimes when I can't find the right ID, I will take a lengthwise slice out of an oversize one and reclose the cut.

This saved me having to repaint had I opted for welding.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Excellent solution, LLigetfa.
Just FYI, I have never found a size of steel tube I couldn't get from these guys, whether cold-rolled, hot-rolled, I.D. or O.D. specific.
https://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm
And you can get pieces of metal pre-cut in specific lengths, for a very low fee.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts