My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have used pet hotels when going on vacation, what are the terms of business?

I recently used my first one, and was dismayed to find that checking the dogs in at 6:00 p.m. Sunday, and checking them out Thursday at 6:00 p.m. constituted 5 days. I count 4 nights by my math, but I checked a couple other places and sure enough, any part of any day costs a full days board. Has anyone else found that to be the case?

Also the rate of $29 for the first dog, and $19 for the second seems a little high, but again, in my area, a couple other places were that or higher.

All required owners to provide their own food.

What a business though! The woman running it has about 20 dogs hoteled at any given time. Plus she has doggy daycare at $25 per dog per day. I figure she grosses $78K per year - for scooping poo!

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That's quite a bit of green for not having to buy any dog food.

I've never used one but those prices are enough to make a dent in any vacation budget. I guess that I am lucky to have some family that will come by and make sure that my pup is OK and cared for.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,557 Posts
For those of you who have used pet hotels when going on vacation, what are the terms of business?

I recently used my first one, and was dismayed to find that checking the dogs in at 6:00 p.m. Sunday, and checking them out Thursday at 6:00 p.m. constituted 5 days. I count 4 nights by my math, but I checked a couple other places and sure enough, any part of any day costs a full days board. Has anyone else found that to be the case?

Also the rate of $29 for the first dog, and $19 for the second seems a little high, but again, in my area, a couple other places were that or higher.

All required owners to provide their own food.

What a business though! The woman running it has about 20 dogs hoteled at any given time. Plus she has doggy daycare at $25 per dog per day. I figure she grosses $78K per year - for scooping poo!
My wife and I looked into starting a boarding kennel back when our dogs where slowly leaving us and we had 8 kennels..

Too much overhead involved!!! Plus dealing with the picky owners!!!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife and I looked into starting a boarding kennel back when our dogs where slowly leaving us and we had 8 kennels..

Too much overhead involved!!! Plus dealing with the picky owners!!!
Overhead? You owned the 8 kennels.

I did a business plan for my wife to have a home daycare (for human children), and it would have cost me $40K to get the basement to code for such a thing, and she could have made a whopping $28K gross.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,557 Posts
Overhead? You owned the 8 kennels.

I did a business plan for my wife to have a home daycare (for human children), and it would have cost me $40K to get the basement to code for such a thing, and she could have made a whopping $28K gross.
I dismantled the kennels when the last husky passed on..

:sorry1: If I am taking this off topic..

Attachments

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Around here its between 10am and 2pm depending on the place. I never use em though.. 6 dogs add up in a hurry.. and YES bring your own food and bowl even.. The part i don't care for is i know how much food my lab eats and back when we only had her i knew they did not let her eat enough. She free feeds.. and was not over weight till i buggered my back up and couldn't take her training on the pond any more.

Prices here are around 24 a dog and no discount for second (or third, fourth, fifth or sixth)

·
Registered
7 Posts
got 2 hotels right near me going to use one for the first time this weekend
my doggies have never slept anywhere but a queen size bed ( mine )
going rate here is $16 per mutt per night never aksed about food but will be taking what they usually eat for them
bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts