My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
I like a Beeman R9 with an 18X scope...quiet and effective.

While the R9 provided hours of fun with moles, vols, chipmunks and gophers, I no longer use it much. A few years ago I got fed up with those critters and the skunks digging for food. Triazicide granules were broadcast spread over the entire property and I was SHOCKED at the death scenes the next morning! Literally tens of thousands of dead bugs were laying in the lawn. the only living ones were the huge june bugs, and they were on their backs flailing their legs around. I had a black carpenter ant mound that had grown to about 8" high and perhaps 4X8 feet in size. Less than 2 days after spreading the granules of death the ant hill collapsed and became a hole that needed several yards of black dirt to fill.

Last year I reapplied, but the results were MUCH less impressive. I guess I have very few destructive bugs left. My lawn has never looked this good!

·
Administrator
18,376 Posts
Hey Joe, thanks for the answer that everyone was waiting for. The only problem is the same I have with a lot of the lawn products "Do not place in areas accessible to children and pets" and with my grandson and two dogs having free reign all over the fenced in property I would be afraid to use them. Never know what they might dig up, especially since the tunnels are so close to the surface.
MikeC

Of course now that we have the answer, :tango_face_surprise I bet this really doesn't qualify as "organic" gardening and lawn care.
But then again it beats blending up some dead moles in a blender and spraying it on the lawn. :sidelaugh BTW that is an "organic" solution to ridding your shrubs and flowers of Japanese Beetles. Of course :fing20: using beetles, not moles!:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hey Joe, thanks for the answer that everyone was waiting for. The only problem is the same I have with a lot of the lawn products "Do not place in areas accessible to children and pets" and with my grandson and two dogs having free reign all over the fenced in property I would be afraid to use them. Never know what they might dig up, especially since the tunnels are so close to the surface.
MikeC

Of course now that we have the answer, :tango_face_surprise I bet this really doesn't qualify as "organic" gardening and lawn care.
But then again it beats blending up some dead moles in a blender and spraying it on the lawn. :sidelaugh BTW that is an "organic" solution to ridding your shrubs and flowers of Japanese Beetles. Of course :fing20: using beetles, not moles!:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh
I have dogs and kids also. The directions let you know it is not harmful. I can't remember if it is after being rained in or not. I have had no problems and would not use it if I had to worry about our tiny little dogs...

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.