My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Joe
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I'm sure it's probably been covered in here before but what is the quickest way to get rid of these things? Yes, they are ground moles. I remember them from when I was a kid and we had a dog that loved to dig them up. No dog now so I need to know what is the best trap out there. Online ads all make the claim that theirs is the best. Which trap do you guys say is the best?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well there are a lot of traps like you said but the main problem is what the moles are after.
The old spike traps are the best at killing the mole, although you would be better to attract red headed wood peckers, crows, and squirrels to eat the grubs. Get rid of the grubs in the lawn and the moles will go elsewhere. Or just spray the yard with castor oil the moles will leave, but you will still have the grubs chewing at your roots in the lawn.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,672 Posts
Well there are a lot of traps like you said but the main problem is what the moles are after.
The old spike traps are the best at killing the mole, although you would be better to attract red headed wood peckers, crows, and squirrels to eat the grubs. Get rid of the grubs in the lawn and the moles will go elsewhere. Or just spray the yard with castor oil the moles will leave, but you will still have the grubs chewing at your roots in the lawn.
Not totally true because they also eat earthworms. Juicy Fruit gum rolled up like a little grub and put in their runs. Peppermint candy will not kill them, but they will go elsewhere. Results on both are iffy by my experience. Can't say for sure if they are effective as I also use a Trap.
:fing32: Fictional character

·
Joe
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You say the spike traps are the best. Is this personal experience?
(Place is also overrun with squirrels. They're next on my list.)

·
Joe
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe I'll try them then Sonny. If you recommend them That's good enough for me.
Thanks
(Actually I first though about gassing them with exhaust fumes and I may still try it. If nothing else it should possibly bring them to the surface then it's time to play Whack-A-Mole!) :00000060::sidelaugh

·
26,672 Posts
I usually only step down on active run where the trap is going so the activator lever will trip when they run up/down the run. Best to find a active run instead of just guessing. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Isn't the real "target" of the moles larvae in the ground?

That is why milky spore is a "fix" to get rid of moles.

The milky spore kills the larva, the moles have no reason to tunnel.

:dunno:

We did the milky spore years ago, no moles after about 2 seasons for the spores to spread.

:praying:

·
26,672 Posts
Isn't the real "target" of the moles larvae in the ground?

That is why milky spore is a "fix" to get rid of moles.

The milky spore kills the larva, the moles have no reason to tunnel.

:dunno:

We did the milky spore years ago, no moles after about 2 seasons for the spores to spread.

:praying:
I have heard that, but continue to wonder how the Moles know there are none in a large area unless they tunnel and find none, and then I think, they would just eat the worms and other stuff along the way.
Not sure I believe they are smart enough to know there are no grubs in a given area without going thru it. :dunno:

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I have heard that, but continue to wonder how the Moles know there are none in a large area unless they tunnel and find none, and then I think, they would just eat the worms and other stuff along the way.
Not sure I believe they are smart enough to know there are no grubs in a given area without going thru it. :dunno:
One reason the moles tunnel is the larvae will move into the tunnel, then the moles come along and "harvest" them!!

No larva, no moles. :fing32:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi all.
I'm sure it's probably been covered in here before but what is the quickest way to get rid of these things? Yes, they are ground moles. I remember them from when I was a kid and we had a dog that loved to dig them up. No dog now so I need to know what is the best trap out there. Online ads all make the claim that theirs is the best. Which trap do you guys say is the best?
You say the spike traps are the best. Is this personal experience?
(Place is also overrun with squirrels. They're next on my list.)
I had my run with them after the junebugs we have had the last three years. I was letting the cat have it's fill of squires that were digging up the yard digging up the yard. I tried the caster oil last spring it gives any thing that eats the grubs dysentery and they leave. But I still had the grubs. A few years back I tried the milkyspore But never noticed any change in the number of grubs as I stated the mass number of june bugs the last three years. But I have a lot of squirrels in the yard digging up something so I get out the camera and zoom in they are eating grubs, so are the crows and wood peckers. I started bringing the cat in and now. I know that leaving those rotten trees in the wood for the wood peckers over the last 25 years is paying off. The yard looks like it was just aerated. I guess it darned if you do darned if you don't. Also saw a crow pull a mole out and eat it grabbed the camera pushed record and the thing flashed no memory card....

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,863 Posts
Red Foxes love moles. Doesn't solve the grub problem, but they will get rid of the moles, and provide a natural aeration in the process.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I have tried a lot of different Remadies . What I finely did was I took there Mound scraped It off to the side. Dumped Some Decon (table spoon) in the hole Covered it with some leaves then the dirt pile . after 3 or 4 times NO moles. . And they buried themselves. I didn't have to fiddle with them. It worked for me on our 10 achers . Life is good.

·
Joe
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Actually it was my neighbor who got rid of them. I was going to get some of those spike traps but our neighbor bought a couple of those pointy bait traps and presto. Moles have not been here for the past two years. There used to be trails running all over the lawn and you could see everywhere where they traveled. Now there is absolutely no evidence. I'm very happy they're gone.
Here's what he used...

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
I like NH3 for that job...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.