My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a dark purple Rhododendron in the ground for about 10 years. During that entire time I could on one hand the number of blooms it has produced. That was until yesterday when she bloomed for the year, in my opinion the nicest looking of my broad leaf Rhodies.

·
Super Moderator
10,243 Posts
They are beautiful....you know they only bloom in that spot every other year...I have some in my front that are also blooming now, and I have to trim them at least once, sometimes twice a year, and it screws up the blooming...if you let them go wild it will grow large and a LOT of those beautiful flowers!

·
Premium Member
10,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are beautiful....you know they only bloom in that spot every other year...I have some in my front that are also blooming now, and I have to trim them at least once, sometimes twice a year, and it screws up the blooming...if you let them go wild it will grow large and a LOT of those beautiful flowers!
I only trim them Rhododendrons right after they bloom before next year's buds start to form.

·
Premium Member
10,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
10,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you ever played with the PH levels to change the colors?
That's Hydrangeas. Not sure you can alter a Rhodie's color with acid or alkaline soil.

·
Premium Member
10,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The peonies are blooming. I don't know another flower that can rival the intensity of the color.

·
Premium Member
11,354 Posts
I have several varieties of azaleas, PJMs and one large Rhododendron. We also have one hydrangea, a hibiscus, a small hosta, some daylillies, and some Knock Out roses.

I'd love to have more Rhododendrons, but my wife says she hates them (because her parents allowed them to overgrow the front of the house when she grew up).

I need to find and post some pics.

BTW, despite buying various fertilizers, I've never actually fed any of these things since initially planting them. They live on despite my complete and total abuse!

Mike

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Everybody’s plants are looking great!
Steve, my Rhodes are also blooming well this year for the first time.. thankfully.. as my wife has talked about getting rid of them due to lack of blooms the last couple years.
Tho to be truthful, we’re found a local lady that’s helped tremendously and is well versed in the correct fertilizers and tending the gardens, that’s well worth the few hours pay!

·
Premium Member
10,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Steve, those are nice, would like to get some different colored ones but here is today's blooming at my place, only had one yesterday morning!

View attachment 2506852
those are beautiful, It's interesting that all my deep pink ones bloomed first, then my light pink double petal ones like yours came a few days later. I am supposed to have a yellow one, but it's been in the ground about 5 years and no blooms.

·
Premium Member
10,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Everybody’s plants are looking great!
Steve, my Rhodes are also blooming well this year for the first time.. thankfully.. as my wife has talked about getting rid of them due to lack of blooms the last couple years.
Tho to be truthful, we’re found a local lady that’s helped tremendously and is well versed in the correct fertilizers and tending the gardens, that’s well worth the few hours pay!
Forest we live in Rhododendron Central, they love our soil and climate. Don't spare the Hollytone. I have probably 50 Rhodies, They each get a handful of Hollytone at the drip line in the early spring, even if there is still snow on the ground and another handful in summer after they bloom, which is also when I do any pruning.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts