My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
No point wasting propane Glenn, unless there is a reason to keep the pilot burning. If it's easy to fire up I would kill it when you're not burning.

Looks good BTW. :fing32:
There is a reason to keep the pilot on,,,,
Spiders LOVE to put webs in such locations,,,, the pilot will stop that.

I would rather use $2 worth of propane for the pilot, than go through cleaning the pilot assembly,,,,

I doubt the pilot could use a gallon of propane in a year,,,,

Tradeoffs,,,,,,,,,,, :dunno:

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks--CAD..

.any one else have any thoughts??:dunno:What do you folks do?

(this could be opening a can of worms)

glenn

·
Registered
715 Posts
Usually based on the 2 LP gas heaters I have the start up procedure is. Turn knob to OFF, wait for gas smell, No smell move knob to PILOT hold it in. Requires 20000 lbs of effort bending over the stove while you press the spark button over and over to get the $&@&$ thing to light. If it lights hold for 1 minute to heat the safety thermocouple. OK now then turn knob to ON. Turn thermostats to desired temp.
Leave the pilot on. IMHO

·
15,000 +posts!
19,711 Posts
One thing that scares me about pilot lights is if one somehow gets blown out or goes out,and the gas keeps being fed to it..then the gas can accumulate and possibly suffocate someone,or cause an explosion..

Granted its a long shot,I know there are safety devices that are supposed to kill the gas supply if a pilot light goes out---but I have seen a mobile home that went off like a bomb after the gas water heater pilot blew out and enough gas accumulated to get ignited when the furnace came on a few hours later!....

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
As long as the thermocouple is functioning correctly, once it cools down the gas will click off. Some Older devices did not have the ability to do that, and I know of at least one ventless gas fireplace that would pump unlit gas into the house after the rear half of the burner went out. Somehow it never went boom before it was discovered. Had a defective burner

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks-Guys...I'm forseeing some winter evenings, and some movies, and some popcorn--with the toasty logs just a' going!

glenn

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Update here on he gas logs we had installed--

Burned them for awhile last Sunday eve--got rid of that "new smell"--then used them last night for a couple hours as it was cold/rainy outside. We shut the doors going back to the rest of the house at first--then gradually opened them up as it got to temperature. Got warm very quickly--now learning how to 'dial' in the fan (roller button) on the side of the blower vent.

All in all--I'm very pleased!!!:thThumbsU I think this is one of my/wife's better decisions in life. No more hauling/chopping wood.......

glenn

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Looks good--MU--makes me warm/toasty already-

-----like I said--giving my leftover wood to a friend--she just hasn't had time to pick it up yet--that will clean up some space in my lower yard --that I'll clean up in the spring--and ONE less place for those slithery creatures to hide.....

Win/win

glenn

·
We're all friends here
13,848 Posts
Glenn, I have been burning mine occasionally for 17 years and still can't get rid of that "new" smell during the first ten minutes of burn time. :dunno:

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Glenn, I have been burning mine occasionally for 17 years and still can't get rid of that "new" smell during the first ten minutes of burn time. :dunno:
If you mean the first 10 minutes of the season, that is the dust burning away.

If it is the first 10 minutes EACH time they come on,,,,,,,,, :dunno: ??

·
We're all friends here
13,848 Posts
Doesn't happen every time, but happens several times per season, depending upon how often I use it. Probably is dust.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Looks good--MU--makes me warm/toasty already-

-----like I said--giving my leftover wood to a friend--she just hasn't had time to pick it up yet--that will clean up some space in my lower yard --that I'll clean up in the spring--and ONE less place for those slithery creatures to hide.....

Win/win

glenn
Thank You Glenn,
It got too warm even on the lowest setting so shut it off yesterday. Did a quick clean and was pleasantly surprised to see so little ash/dust. These softwood pellets are worth the extra few bucks IMO. :thThumbsU

MU

21 - 35 of 35 Posts