My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a little planning here for our place. Heated primarily by fuel oil furnace, but since only two of us here anymore, and don't use all the house every day--would like a back-up/alt. source of heat--to cut back on furnace use.
(EDIT--Furnace still runs for our hot water)

My house is a one-story brick rancher, flat and level. Currently have a wood stove/fireplace insert, but the chimney liner needs to be replaced to keep using this stove. Tune in $3,500 for that.
Thinking instead of pellet stove, with it's own pipe--or gas logs...to replace insert--:dunno: wife want's to do something quick--you know, when they get their mind on one subject--(eyes roll here)

Let me hear the good/bad, plse-

How about dumping the ashes/residue from the pellet stove?
With gas logs--the igniter or whatever lights them- wouldn't work if we had power failure -right?

Pro's/cons?? Comments?

Thanks again!

glenn

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
We purchased gas logs over 10 years ago, along with a tank big enough to make it through an entire year.

For us it is perfection.

Purchase the ones with the fewest options, no wireless remote,,,, etc.

The simple ones last the longest.

My sister (in Charles City,,, :fing32:) purchased new log sets every 3 years, the wireless controls kept failing.

If you own a tank big enough to last the year, you can fill up in the summer, when propane costs 1/2 or less.

Owning the tank lets you "shop" for propane.

My back aches just thinking about carrying bags of pellets at 10 degrees,,,on a icy sidewalk :hide:

·
Registered
18 Posts
i try a pellet stove for a year, easy to start, easy to clean, for a winter i take 2 pallet (aprox. 60 bag) that i store in the basement. 1 bag of pellet produce aprox. a cup of ashes. let's the stove cool down for a day, then clean-up with the shop-vac. i've a 12v marine battery for back-up power when the electricty shut down.

Love it!

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What needs the juice from a battery, if you don't mind my ignorance....

glenn

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
A pellet stove typically has three motors- a combustion blower, a feed motor, and a distribution blower. Some also use a thermal ignitor. It might be time to consider a generator, too.

·
Administrator
12,216 Posts
Glenn, I heat almost exclusively with wood pellets (Enviro Free Standing stove) in my 1800 odd sq ft, open floor plan home. This winter has been long and cold so I used 100 gallons of oil (prior to this season I burned 100 gallons in two winters) and I'm into my last ton of pellets. I started with 5 tons. Emptying the ashes is no problem with a pull out drawer for ashes. Cleaning is pretty simple, cool it down and vacuum it out. Snake the exhaust pipe once a year to clear it out, and remove the exhaust blower fan and clean the blades and housing. Buy an extra gasket because you'll probably need it.

I get 5 tons of pellets in the spring and pile it up in the back of my garage. You'll need some place to store it by the pallet or stacking them along a wall in the garage or basement etc. Stacking and bringing into the house 250 bags from the detached garage isn't much fun, but for now I'm able and it saves me a bunch over burning oil.

And lastly, a generator is needed in the case of a blackout. No power, no working pellet stove, or oil furnace in the basement for that matter. Good luck with whatever you choose!

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks-folks--appreciate the info--anyone else??
And do the pellets come in bags or boxes-how?

BTW--I have a generator 4500 Lincoln elec.gen./welder at the moment...that I can use.

glenn

·
Registered
936 Posts
My house is a one-story brick rancher, flat and level. Currently have a wood stove/fireplace insert, but the chimney liner needs to be replaced to keep using this stove. Tune in $3,500 for that.

What exactly were you quoted for $3500? I'd be surprised if a new liner with installation was $1000. Unless it has other issues, putting in a new stainless steel liner and keeping the existing insert would be the most economical.

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back to subject at hand-

...Well, today being a 'rain-out' for outside projects , we did some more shopping for stoves, and with a lot of questions, back/fourth--have finally settled on a gas-log insert, by Regency stoves (E33) model with a little different faceplate. Nothing real fancy. just works good....
Finally talked to a very knowledgeable man at one store, who I feel like knows the products well, and has been there for a number of years. Will talk to gas company this week.

Boy--you wouldn't believe some of the "loo-loo's" we have met in the last two weeks, searching this out....:hide: Don't see how some of these places even stay in business......One guy couldn't hardly speak English.
Pathetic!

Anyway--I think, for ease of maintenance and joy of living--this is my best alternative....No wood or pellets to handle, no ashes, nada.
Here's a picture of the plain-Jane model off their site..

.I'll post a picture when we get ours put in, with Glenn's feet propped up, in about three weeks-:fing32: Ya know???

And many thanks for everyone's remarks--always helps me to have other's opinions.

P.S. Oh, my wife advertised our wood stove insert in the local paper yesterday, and already had a couple calls on it. One couple wants to come
see it tomarrow morn. And the rest of the firewood, I have out back covered up--I'll give to a good friend of ours, who heats by wood. Win/Win for us!

glenn

Attachments

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
You are gonna love them, we have had ours so long, the installed price was $400. :hide:

Clean them E V E R Y September, you will be amazed how spiders LOVE to build miniature webs.

The web will be exactly where the gas has to flow.

Mine have never been professionally serviced, and they are perfect.

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks-CAD...I already felt the warmth, sitting there , talking in the store--almost fell asleep in the man's outdoor display.
What do you clean yours with--shop vac? any brushes or anything?

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Thanks-CAD...I already felt the warmth, sitting there , talking in the store--almost fell asleep in the man's outdoor display.
What do you clean yours with--shop vac? any brushes or anything?
Several small brushes, and a small vac, I keep the vac just for the logs, FINE dust.

The trick is to remember how to remove the ceramic pieces, and get them back so it looks right!

Burning dust smell the first time you start them in the fall is normal, it lets you know winter is coming. :fing32:

Supposedly, when the unit is clean, the logs are more efficient.

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tell me more--are they like screwed in place--against a frame work?

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK--back to this local issue at my hacienda~

Sold my wood stove insert--she's gone....local couple was very happy...

As stated--we decided on gas logs--now come the chimney inspection, gas installer, propane company, etc.......
First--I need to get the stainless liner installed in our chimney and the 'crown' fixed where it was leaking. Got two prices--and will be done shortly. Also getting new liner in other flue of the chimney that comes off our oil furnace, which had deteriorated.
Will be Done at same time--I think first company was using the 'scare tactic' to my wife--fire danger/carbon monoxide, blah, blah.

Come to find out from one of our neighbors---There is a natural gas line in our area......She has it for her tank-less water heater.

Checking on that Monday--so if that is true, then won't need the propane, as far as I can tell. Our stove dealer also has the gas logs now in his store--waiting on the chimney work.

More to come next week! A little progress is better than none....

glenn

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyway--moving forward a week--'gas connection' man coming Monday to check our set up, and give us a plan of action. (He was sick with stomach virus past week)--and I can totally understand that--we had two rounds of it here this winter, so I don't need another problem.
Come when you get better--seems like a really nice person, by what Deb said after phone conversations.

I just want to move on with this, and get 'er done!:praying:

glenn

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
'Da Man' has gas logs in time for winter--:thThumbsU
to back up furnace--
Everything installed/inspected and done--tank filled @ summer prices.

(as posted before--sold my wood stove insert, and just last weekend-someone bought the two square stainless -Chimney caps I had left over-

Here's some pic's...

I may plant another plant on the opposite side of the tank to kinda hide it in the future, but for right now--it doesn't bother me at all.:dunno:

**On to the next project==

glenn

Attachments

·
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have heard two 'opinions' about the pilot light on this set-up. One thought is to leave it burning all the time (using more propane)...other thought to
re start each use.

As it seem' s fairly easy to fire up--with the mechanical button--I'll just try that for a while.

Forgot to mention, has a two speed fan mounted in the side to help difuse the heat---but if we did lose power, could run the logs without the fan.

glenn

·
We're all friends here
13,848 Posts
No point wasting propane Glenn, unless there is a reason to keep the pilot burning. If it's easy to fire up I would kill it when you're not burning.

Looks good BTW. :fing32:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts